Superflo VS Shaft Seal

Xyllus

May 28, 2017
Garland
my Superflo VS EC 342001 started leaking so I purchased a kit with all new seals.
Unfortunately, the kit came with a PS-200 shaft seal which was smaller than what I needed.
I'm honestly very confused on which one I do need... I saw on another threat here earlier that PS-3867 would be the correct number but that is just an upgraded version of the PS-200 if I understand correctly.
Looking at diagrams, it mentions that I need 354545S but when I look at parts it seems that just brings me back to PS-200, or possibly PSR-200???
I'm at a loss and I was hoping someone could help me.
Thanks!

PS-1000. Its a whisperflow PS for the older superflos. Does your impeller have a place in the back to fit the second half of the pump seal into? If so its needs a PS 1000.

Last edited:
This is what my impeller looks like, I'm not sure if that's different from others.
It seems to me that all these seals have 2 parts, ceramic side that fits in the plate, and then the carbon side that fits on the impeller

Thank you for all that information!
So the problem is, I already have a new PS-200 and it does not fit, it's too small. I have a Superflo VS so by all accounts it should fit just fine so I'm confused...
My pump has the timer/screen thing on the top so it's a bit different from the one in the video.

I took it apart yesterday but reassembled it with the old shaft seal just so I could run the pump (even though it's leaking) for the time being while I figure out the correct shaft seal.
The original shaft seal has the carbon side really stuck on the impeller (hence why I thought that part gets installed on the impeller), and don't want to remove it because I don't want to damage it without having a new seal.
that being said, the PS-200 outer diameter is too small to fit in the plate, it just falls out. The previous one fits snugly.
From what I understand the PS-3867 is just the PS-200 but upgraded materials, so it'd be the same issue? But I don't have one so I can't know for sure.
I can disassemble this afternoon and show you some pictures if that'd be helpful, I appreciate your time.

I can disassemble this afternoon and show you some pictures if that'd be helpful,
That would help.

The part that is too small is the ceramic part with the rubber boot?

The first seal is a PS-200 and the second seal is a PS-3867.

The ceramic part with the rubber boot should push snugly into the seal plate.

Is the seal plate damaged?

1630079464826.png
1630079482841.png

Yes the ceramic bit that pushes into the plate is too small - obviously so. My seal definitely does not look like the 3867 one.
My plate does not look damaged in any way. When I was taking it apart I was confused on why my pump was leaking in the first place because I did not see anything worn.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, if you can show the seal and the seal plate maybe something will be obvious.

Maybe the wrong seal was sent in the wrong box?

Did you remove the old rubber boot from the seal plate?

The new ceramic part has to be installed with the new rubber boot.

The pump really is less than one year old so it all came apart pretty easily.

There was a design change on 6/17/2019 for the impeller, diffuser and seal.

The correct part is 17351-0101S.

The PS-3868 should also work.

The seal carbon part might go on the impeller.

1630082552237.png
Ecommerce (EC) products: Products purchased from an Authorized Pentair Online Reseller (products beginning with EC-) receive a one (1) year (parts only) warranty from the date of purchase.

You can file a warranty claim and have Pentair send you new parts.

The pump should have a sticker on the front with a manufacturing date.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I installed the pump myself, so I believe that voids the warranty
Ecommerce (EC) products: Products purchased from an Authorized Pentair Online Reseller (products beginning with EC-) receive a one (1) year (parts only) warranty from the date of purchase.

File a warranty claim and ask them to send you any bad parts.

Ok so the good first: the shaft seal 17351-0101S was exactly right and fit perfectly!
The bad, as I put everything back together, the 2 bottom bolts on the volute wouldn't screw in all the way. as soon as I realize it I also can't unscrew them anymore... so my entire assembly is now stuck. I managed to get one bolt out by pushing the volute away from the seal plate as I unscrew but the other is still stuck. At this point I'm going to have to cut the bolt in 2 to get the volute apart, and I can only assume that both the seal plate and volute are already too damaged to re-use. I believe the volute part number is 350089, but I can't find the seal plate part number and I cannot read it in the picture you attached (the first of the two). Could you help me with that?
Thanks

EDIT: Never mind, I finally found my manual... the seal plate is 356071 in almond.
EDIT EDIT: Looks like the part is not available anywhere, so I may not be able to use my pool this year anymore...

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.