Summer Waves filter system to Intex Krystal Clear sand filter

Jul 22, 2018
Sublette KS
Hello there. I have a question I have a summer waves above ground 14’ x 42” pool. We recently purchased an intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump and absolutely love it. It makes our water clear as can be. One thing I am having a problem with is the vacuuming. The pool has a skimmer basket on the side and just one inlet for the water being pumped from the filter. It came with an attachment that hooked up to the vacuum hose and it worked good with the old original pump but the new sand filter pump has too much power and it sounds like it bogs down the filter motor and it has no suction I have made sure the hose is full of water before I start. Am I missing something when I am connecting the hose to the skimmer or is there a possibility to just lay the end of the hose inside of the skimmer while I am vacuuming. I am new at this so any help would be appreciated.
Thank you
Brenda Wilcox

I ran into this issue years ago when we had an Intex 14' round pool. I also purchased an Intex sand filter and it had a 3200 GPH pump motor. The issue I had was that the cheap Intex plastic hose would collapse from the suction pressure. I purchased a 20 foot hose from the local pool store that was more quality and rigid. I think it cost like $30 or so. Solved the issue and connected right up.

I ran into this issue years ago when we had an Intex 14' round pool. I also purchased an Intex sand filter and it had a 3200 GPH pump motor. The issue I had was that the cheap Intex plastic hose would collapse from the suction pressure. I purchased a 20 foot hose from the local pool store that was more quality and rigid. I think it cost like $30 or so. Solved the issue and connected right up.

One question what what did you connect the new hose to as I only have the one that fits into the skimmer basket that came with the Intex pool hose it is a lot smaller than the hose itself and it bogs down our pump when we try to use it. Is there another attachment that I can purchase from the pool store along with the me hose? Or do you just take the lid off of the skimmer and take out the basket and just stick the end of the hose on the skimme basket itself I thought I saw someone do that on you tube didn’t look like they hooked it up to anything they just stuck it in there. I just don’t want to blow my motor on my pump.

It's funny now that you say that I had the similar issue with fitment. I went to the local pool place and purchased a Hayward skimmer unit, just the regular one. I drained the pool below the line and cut the vinyl to fit the skimmer face. It came with a U gasket so I fit that to the opening and screwed it all together. The new skimmer came with the hose lid attachment. If I recall correctly the skimmer cost me about $35-$40, and it may be cheaper on amazon. Now that being said I also picked up a 1 1/4"-1 1/2" hose adapter and screwed it into the bottom of the skimmer to attach the Intex hose from the filter. It will not fit and will feel too tight. I used my wife's hair dryer to heat the end of the hose up until pliable. Then I pushed it on to the fitting and used a hose clamp to hold it on like a normal hose.

Do not be afraid of cutting the vinyl pool once the water is low enough. I literally cut it with a box cutter, and used the gasket. This pool remained up and functional with no leaks for an additional 4 years. By the way I am in Iowa and never took it down through the winter. I just drained it below the skimmer, took the pump and filter to the basement, and purchased an air pillow and winter cover.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.