Suggestions for best *reusable* CYA Skimmer sock

Glock30

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 30, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
As the title suggests I am looking for suggstions on an inexpensive reusable "Sock" for dissolving cya in my skimmer basket.
I used old (yes, clean) sport socks last year but I am looking for something more durable and permanent.

Thanks In Advance.

Does the fabric of the "sock" matter? A cotton tube sock or a nylon/spandex pantyhose make me think it wouldn't matter. How about a larger "bag" like an old pillowcase?

I am attempting to dissolve my CYA in a 5gal bucket, but seems like it isn't working, so I'm thinking of putting an old pillowcase over the mouth of the bucket and straining the remaining undissolved stuff out. But then, can I hang the pillowcase in the vicinity of the skimmer?

Thanks!
Jaimi

The fabric doesn't really matter. A pillow case is a little to fine a weave to work well but it would eventually dissolve through it.

Dissolving CYA in a bucket has been tried before and never works. It's best to put it in a sock or stocking and hang it in front of a running return. barring that you cna put the sock in the skimmer, but the return works better.

We put our CYA in the skimmer, let the filter trap it, and then it dissolved and released into the pool? What is the advantage to the sock idea?

Also, I thought CYA didn't evaporate away, is it something that needs to be added often? eg, what drives the need for a re-usable dispenser (aka sock)?

davelinde said:
We put our CYA in the skimmer, let the filter trap it, and then it dissolved and released into the pool? What is the advantage to the sock idea?

Also, I thought CYA didn't evaporate away, is it something that needs to be added often? eg, what drives the need for a re-usable dispenser (aka sock)?
If someone is in the process of clearing a green swampy mess, there's a good chance they will need to backwash a clogged filter before all the CYA is dissolved. So it would be wasted.

Also, it is acidic, and it's probably not such a great idea to have it dissolving inside the filter without any flow diluting it.

If you run the filter 24/7 and don't need to backflush for a week, it probably makes no difference.

If it's hanging in a sock, it's easy to tell when it's all dissolved as well.

CYA doesn't evaporate, but it can get lost to splashout and backwashing. Sometimes it disappears over the winter - not sure why, it doesn't get that cold where I live - so that would require more. Also some people drain the water down below the skimmers before the pool freezes, so they need to add more CYA when they refill on opening. And then there are those who have an intex or whatever that they take down every year. I have to do partial drain and refills to keep the CH levels in check, so I lose CYA every time I lower the CH.

JohnT has me beat, but I am on a 4 year old sock (of the sweaty variety) that has been used on my pool and my neighbors pool every year (he is always behind me in getting his cya up to snuff...of course on my coaxing).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bama Rambler said:
There have also been reports of it solidifying in the plumbing and causing clogs, so it's better to take the precaution of letting it slowly dissolve in a sock.

oh... that is not good. I told DW this. She says our CYA is around 55 at the moment and she wants it higher so she put another pound in a sweat sock in the skimmer. I forgot about that... Today I opened the skimmer and thought that floating sock was some kind of bloated, dead animal and jumped out of my shoes! (actually I was barefoot at the time but...)

Just one vote for the 'dump it in the skimmer--no sock' approach. My returns are pretty low on the wall and my water is free, so I dump about 6000 gals. every close to get below the returns, then put back 3k in the fall and the rest in Spring. So I add CYA every open this way (since 2006) and I never have a problem. I do run filter at high speed 24/7 for three days at the open so this may help.

I know I can blow lines with returns underwater, but that water is COLD! This is much easier given free water (low calcium, zero-metal Artesian mountain well--they do exist!).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.