Sugar Land Pool Bid (Houston, Texas)

The SWG is an absolute must here. Trust me. I’d rather stab myself in the eye with this fork I’m holding than not have an SWG down here!
+1!!!

I’d sub that out for a robot and a Chiller. Water hit 92 deg today and I turned it on for first time and it’s only July. Like swimming in a bathtub right now!
Our neighbor’s pools are like that. Ours? 85 today, and I’ve been using the heater a lot. My suggestion is to make sure you have room for chiller on your pad and a spot in your plumbing for one, and then add it later if you feel like you need it. Every pool is different.

@jimbethesda And @MyAZPool

With my EasyTouch and ScreenLogic, my PC talks to my local network which talks to my EasyTouch.. No Pentair Servers involved..

So with the IntelliCenter, when you are home, can you use your PC to control the IntelliCenter or does that required a Pentair Server.. ??

How does the iPhone (and I assume Android) communicate with the IntelliCenter when home??

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hey Jim,
Here is the simplest way to describe how an IntelliCenter can use a device to communicate with the IntelliCenter panel.

1. Mobile Device: You can connect either through the prod.IntelliCenter server (intellicenter.com) OR through a direct connection on the user's local network. You have those two options.
2. Desktop/Laptop/WorkStation: Typically, "most" users (but not all) connect through the prod.IntelliCenter server (intellicenter.com). There is no "Pentair" solution to connect directly from a Desktop/Laptop/WorkStation on your local network, because it is a web "client" and not an application that resides on the machine like ScreenLogic does.

Let me know if you need any clarification.
Thanks...
r.

Last edited:
The 1HP Whisperflo Pump is for the water feature.
A WhisperFlo pump is a horrible choice for a water feature.

I don't know why the Whisperflo is the most used pump on water features, but it is.

The whisperflo is a pump made for high resistance to flow, but water features are very low resistance to flow.

A whisperflo pump is very loud and it uses a lot of power.

A water feature pump is specifically made for water features.

A water feature pump is much quieter and it uses much less power.

I would seriously consider not having any part of the pool 5’ (except as a transition depth from a shallower to a deeper section). It’s the no man’s land of depths. Too deep for most to stand comfortably, too shallow to jump or dive into. Our pool has a shelf that is 3.5’, most of it is 4’, and we have a deep end at 6’. The 4’ area by far seems just right, and that’s what I would choose if I had to pick a single depth for the entire pool.

Kids LOVE jumping into the pool, and 4’ isn’t deep enough to do that safely. 6’ is just deep enough. If you want to dive, I would probably go at least 7’.

I would also skip the in floor cleaning system. Get an electric robot instead. A good one is around $700.

I would also strongly look into a salt water system. I’ve used tablets, liquid chlorine, and a salt system (SWCG). The SWCG is sooooo convenient and does not add CYA, like tablets do, which can wreck your pool chemistry. Your inline chlorinator is a tablet system.

If you yard gets full sun, you might also consider a chiller.

And pool prices have definitely gone up with the combination of summer season plus coronavirus.

Yes, I had to tell my PB about IntelliCenter too. PBs are construction people, that's it. They also are not going to operate your pool, you are. Same reason they don't like SWG...only potential downsides for them, with no upside. IntelliCenter is still the way to go IMO.

Unfortunately, the PB and Pentair rep will not sell it to me though. And initially, when the PB was going to sell it to me ... they were charging me a $900 premium over the EasyTouch. I asked for the price breakdown, and they were charging me $740 for ScreenLogic and another $550 for two actuators. I couldn't get them to remove the ScreenLogic, or extra actuators ... and when I called Pentair to find out why I would be charged for these things ... that's when the drama started.

So at this stage, I am going to leave the EasyTouch 4, and convert it to an 8 in the future if I need to.

Unfortunately, the PB and Pentair rep will not sell it to me though. And initially, when the PB was going to sell it to me ... they were charging me a $900 premium over the EasyTouch. I asked for the price breakdown, and they were charging me $740 for ScreenLogic and another $550 for two actuators. I couldn't get them to remove the ScreenLogic, or extra actuators ... and when I called Pentair to find out why I would be charged for these things ... that's when the drama started.

So at this stage, I am going to leave the EasyTouch 4, and convert it to an 8 in the future if I need to.
I’m really surprised. My PB didn’t even charge me any more $$ to switch to IntelliCenter when I requested it. Maybe they have some old EasyTouch inventory they are trying to get rid of.

I’m really surprised. My PB didn’t even charge me any more $$ to switch to IntelliCenter when I requested it. Maybe they have some old EasyTouch inventory they are trying to get rid of.

Ya, in reality, it should have been $330 cheaper! Here is the cost breakdown he sent when I asked about changing:

1593699528558.png

It's the additional ScreenLogic and 2 actuators line items under the IntelliCenter group which confused me. Me calling Pentair to raise this concern caused a bunch of drama for the sales guy, due to the PB and the local Pentair rep not wanting to sell the IntelliCenter at all.

I think they were giving him pricing to try and cause me to say "no", instead of them having to tell me "no". But I am a technical guy, and know ScreenLogic doesn't function with IntelliCenter ... etc ... It was a very weird experience to say the least.

If you are technical, you’ll really enjoy IntelliCenter, it has a lot more capabilities.

That's why I pushed so hard for it. I've built several control systems (using Arduino, Teensy, ESP8266) for my home (HVAC controller, driveway gate controller) as well as for my guitars (MIDI automation enablement), etc ... so I know hardware, as well as enough C++, to do things myself.

After a LOT of back and forth with my sales guy, and then calling Pentair directly ... apparently the local Pentair rep and the PB's CEO got really upset after Pentair corporate called them both ... They then both called the sales guy and laid into him ... and it's then they said they would no longer consider selling me IntelliCenter ... it's not even an option anymore. Like I said, it was a really strange experience from a customer's POV.

The only thing I could do at this stage is tell them to not install any controller at all, and I then install IntelliCenter myself after they're done. But honestly, if EasyTouch will give me what is needed to automate the pool (along with a HASA Liquidator and an Acid pump solution), then I I'm ok with it. I honestly have enough projects around here, where I really don't need another one LOL.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ya, in reality, it should have been $330 cheaper! Here is the cost breakdown he sent when I asked about changing:

View attachment 150636

It's the additional ScreenLogic and 2 actuators line items under the IntelliCenter group which confused me. Me calling Pentair to raise this concern caused a bunch of drama for the sales guy, due to the PB and the local Pentair rep not wanting to sell the IntelliCenter at all.

I think they were giving him pricing to try and cause me to say "no", instead of them having to tell me "no". But I am a technical guy, and know ScreenLogic doesn't function with IntelliCenter ... etc ... It was a very weird experience to say the least.
Stoopalini
I'll let you be the judge of this builders integrity, however -

1. An IntelliCenter does NOT need a ScreenLogic Interface. I'd love to ask him how that is supposed to work and watch him squirm. lol... FYI: The functionality of ScreenLogic is built-in to the IntelliCenter... ScreenLogic is only used for EasyTouch and IntelliTouch automation systems. Kind of like buying a car and looking at the invoice and finding that they are trying to charge me for two Harley-Davidson tires. :p

2. He doesn't list exactly what model of valve actuators he is actually providing. However, assuming that he is using Pentair's top of the line actuator (IntelliValve), he has marked the price of those actuators up nearly 80% above retail price. I could get rich quick doing that lol...

3. And lastly, he listed a a P/N 521907. That is an IntelliCenter i5PS. Normally used for Pool/Spa combos. NOT for pool only. And here is the worst of it. That model of IntelliCenter comes bundled with two intelliValves.
Take care...
r.

Last edited:
Stoopalini
I'll let you be the judge of this builders integrity, however -

1. An IntelliCenter does NOT need a ScreenLogic Interface. I'd love to ask him how that is supposed to work and watch him squirm. lol... FYI: The functionality of ScreenLogic is built-in to the IntelliCenter... ScreenLogic is only used for EasyTouch and IntelliTouch automation systems. Kind of like buying a car and looking at the invoice and finding that they are trying to charge me for two Harley-Davidson tires. :p

2. He doesn't list exactly what model of valve actuators he is actually providing. However, assuming that he is using Pentair's top of the line actuator (IntelliValve), he has marked the price of those actuators up nearly 80% above retail price. I could get rich quick doing that lol...
Take care...
r.

Thanks, and ya, I'm aware. I know it doesn't need ScreenLogic (see all my comments above), and actually, the IntelliCenter part # he listed includes two of the actuators. I shouldn't need to purchase two more, especially when I only need one.

The PB is good though. I honestly believe they don't want to sell IntelliCenter at all, and instead of saying that to customer .. they tried to price it up high enough to cause me to say "nevermind". The PB is the largest builder in Texas, and I know several folks who have pools by them, and all had great experiences. Other than this controller fiasco, everything else has been great for us too ... and, they were the most competative pricing out of the 5 PBs we spoke to.

There's just something strange with our local rep and the IntelliCenter product. They just don't want to sell it.

What does “Pentair Rep” mean? A distributor, or a Pentair employee?

Their local rep ... I assumed it was a Pentair employee, who is the PB's contact to the company. But I don;t know their corporate structure. It's the PB's contact to Pentair, for technical issues, inventory ordering (I assume), etc .. Like an inside sales rep?

The example I used with my sales rep was: "Asking me to pay for Screen Logic with an IntelliCenter, is like you buying a Macbook Pro, and being told you have to buy a copy of Windows 10 in order to purchase the Macbook".

• Haha
Reactions: MyAZPool
The example I used with my sales rep was: "Asking me to pay for Screen Logic with an IntelliCenter, is like you buying a Macbook Pro, and being told you have to buy a copy of Windows 10 in order to purchase the Macbook".
Perfect! I'm glad to see that you got a good handle on this situation. (y)... Off topic, but so funny to me that you should happen to mention a Mac and Windows 10 in the same sentence. In January, Microsoft forced me to upgrade from Win7 Pro (which I was fairly happy with), to Win10. Nothing but problems since. Lately, I've got so tired and frustrated of going back and forth with MS, driver issues (and I HATE Win10), that I decided to dig deep and pulled the trigger on a Mac Pro. :p No more MS windows for me.. I've had enough.
Take care and good luck with the new pool!
r.

Reactions: Stoopalini
Building one now. Almost done.
The in floor cleaning system is pricey, should only be needed if you want it or if you have structures (bars,tables,etc) that a robot can't get around. Seems like a cool idea, but also just another component that can break.
I would reconsider spray deck. I would ditch the infloor cleaning and go with a stamped finish or travertine deck.

No salt water generator?
Are the drains straight out to the street?
Auto fill line is whatever, can also do a manual valve. I would imagine is has an overflow.

Have them add a light by your equipment pad, trust me comes in handy.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.