Suction-side leak...no water loss

jongreene93

May 13, 2022
Farmersville, OH
Hello all! This is my first post so be gentle :) I developed a suction side leak last year. My wife wouldn't allow me to start digging because we were having a grad party for my daughter. I've replaced the pump basket gasket, re-done the PVC plumbing with new unions and such. I started digging by the pump to see if I could find anything there. It's an older pool so they used the black pipes that were pre-PVC. I've never liked the way that the pipe coming out of the ground was connected to the PVC above ground. We've ensured that it's sealed though. I'm at a loss though because we do not lose any water and the anti-freeze was still in the lines after sitting all fall/winter/spring. Air is getting in before the pump though and bubbles/pulsing through the returns.

- checked plugs on pump and put new gaskets
- new pump basket gasket
- re-plumbed the above-ground PVC

The old black piping is slightly smaller, so it's nearly impossible to switch to PVC without replacing everything from what I can tell. This means digging up the yard and busting through concrete to get to the skimmer.

Any ideas on what else I can do before going to those extremes?

I'm wondering if I have an obstruction in the skimmer line. I tried the garden hose with cloth wrapped around it through the filter and there were some pretty large air bubbles that continued coming up through the skimmer.
I suppose for a few bucks you could try a bladder device, alternating pushing water in each direction to see if anything breaks loose. But typically bubbles if from air getting pulled inward. Can you post some pics of your pool equipment pad?

full

Perfect, that can help you. Once the ground dries out the problem should come back. Once that happens soak the ground in sections, slowly so the water goes down and not spread out. See if you can get that basket air less ( no bubbles). Move along taking time for the water to soak to pipe depth. This way you should know where to dig. Good news is that i am thinking your skimmer is surrounded by cement decking so no water should have gotten that far in / under, depending on distance of course. If you are not loosing water with pump off ( will take days to show on a small hole ) i say the leak is above ground ?

Yes, the skimmer is surrounded by cement decking. I had the same thought, when it starts sucking air again..just soak sections to see when there's a change. Hopefully this gives me an easy way to track it down. I'd say the cement decking is 3 to 4 feet beyond the skimmer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.