suction side air leak

JoanC

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 26, 2012
Rome, GA
Happy Spring!
Hope all of you are well!
I've searched on the forum for over an hour for an answer to my problem but I'm giving up.

I found air bubbles coming from return in deep in yesterday and pressure gauge was down from norm of 13 to 10psi.
Pump basket lid has some cracks around the edge so was chief suspect.
I got a new lid, gasket and per the pool store, lube for the gasket.
After all was put on and restarted, pressure was back up to 15 and bubbles from return were minimal.
I backwashed and no bubbles from return.

This morning, I have tiny bubbles from return in the deep. I think the water in the pump basket is okay.
The pressure however is 11psi compared to my norm of 13.

A few things:
I don't know if I lubricated the gasket correctly. I put lube on both sides just enough to make it shiny and slick. Not a glob or thick at all.
Am I supposed to wet the gasket before closing it too?
There was a lot of debris in the back basket which accumulates frequently due to oaks around the pool this spring and lots of wind recently.
After cleaning the basket and compartment very well, upon restart debris came into the basket as if there was a good bit in the line. This was small leaves as well as the tassels from oaks.
Most likely a separate issue, I'm seeing sand on the pool floor along with some small dark debris. I did a sand change year before last so I shouldn't have channeling should I? Broken lateral?

I'm hoping I need to readjust the gasket on the pump basket for the air leak situation. Hopefully I don't know how to lube a gasket.

Thank you,
Joan

Is there a chance you sucked some leaves up into the impeller? If I understand your post, that's worth checking out.

Turn off the breaker to the pump, open the pump basket lid and you typically can feel if there is any debris up in the impeller. If so, that might be your problem.

Report back if the impeller is clear and we'll help you track down your leak.

When I took the lid off the basket the gasket stuck to it and came off with the lid. Some pollen on edges of lid and small debris on gasket. I know the gasket was clean when I put it on/ in the groove.
I reached into the opening toward the impeller and felt no debris of significant size. Only little fine pieces floating in the water.
I cleaned the gasket and lid good with a paper towel and positioned the gasket firmly into the clean groove.
I didn't apply any more lube. The gasket and groove were still a little slick.

The gauge showed 13psi when I turned the pump back on and appeared no bubbles at return.
I bent down and looked very closely and saw very minute bubbles.
I've attached photos. One of which is the deep end return with the very minute bubbles that one can't even see in the photo so I guess it's fine now.
The basket pics are before the adjustment. Excuse the mess. I'm not cleaning up until all of the pollen is over.
Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_7752.JPG
    IMG_7752.JPG
    254.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7755.JPG
    IMG_7755.JPG
    399.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7754.JPG
    IMG_7754.JPG
    545.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7759.JPG
    IMG_7759.JPG
    469.1 KB · Views: 7
Arizonarob I'm going to check your link. I just saw your post. Thank you much.

I went out to see if pressure was holding and it is but the tiny little bubbles are still coming up to the surface from that return.
They aren't going out into the water like before which is good!
They are really tiny and coming up to the surface from around the back of the return eye. Not many but I don't know that I ever noticed this before.
I don't recall hearing the jets before either but I hear this. The little bubbles stick to the sidewall around the jet.
There are some around the return/jet in the shallow but not as many.
Is this normal?

Joan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.