Stupid Question About "Auto-Fill".

Hello to all. I have a question I have been wanting to ask for a few weeks. When we had our pool built, they installed a Y-line connection from our outside faucet to "somewhere" in the pool (all underground). I know they told us exactly what it is for and HOW it works during pool school, but for the life of me I cannot remember now. I take it, it is for some type of "auto-fill". Can the pros here explain how this works (please explain for dummies like me)? Thanks in advance.

An autofill senses when the water level has dropped to a certain point and triggers a float (think like a toilet bowl float) to turn the water on to fill the pool to the point the float turns off. They are typically installed inside a "bucket", for lack of a better term, with a lid on it to have access to the float. The piping is then run from the bucket into the side of the pool.

If you post up pictures of your pool we should be able to tell you where it's located.

An autofill senses when the water level has dropped to a certain point and triggers a float (think like a toilet bowl float) to turn the water on to fill the pool to the point the float turns off. They are typically installed inside a "bucket", for lack of a better term, with a lid on it to have access to the float. The piping is then run from the bucket into the side of the pool.

If you post up pictures of your pool we should be able to tell you where it's located.
Thanks for the reply. So does the faucet have to always be "on"? And is it when the water drops below the skimmer? I will post a pic later once it gets light outside.

The faucet does have to be always one and the water never drops below the skimmer for the autofill to kick on. I'll post pics of mine when it gets lighter outside so I don't trip and fall in ;)

BTW, ours is tied into our irrigation system.

And here ya go...this is the lid
This is inside the lid (apparently I need to do some cleaning in there)
and this is where the water comes out...notice it's below the skimmer intake a bit but that doesn't matter as long as the water level in the bucket is kept high enough.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok...so I don’t have anything in my skimmer and I don’t have no type of water output in the pool like yours.
View attachment 135851View attachment 135852
Walk straight from it toward your pool and see if you see something like a return in the side below the water line. Take some pics of the deck and the side of the pool that the line is on.
There is no type of return line anywhere below the water line (besides the 4 from the pump).
98E2BC96-7238-4CC0-A4D5-823EFFAD6BA8.jpeg
BD90D0E7-4FEA-4661-9ED7-3BDB695E5DEF.jpeg
That is a jet output in the 2nd pic.

How do you replace water due to evaporation? Has your pool been maintaining water level automatically? The lever on the piped connection at the faucet is off. Have you tried opening it to check for water flow into the pool?

How do you replace water due to evaporation? Has your pool been maintaining water level automatically? The lever on the piped connection at the faucet is off. Have you tried opening it to check for water flow into the pool?
I just use the water hose, which is a lot in the summer. OK...I just turned the water on and turned the lever for a minute and I heard some "bubbling" sound coming from the skimmer. Is it possible it is connected to the skimmer? BTW, the water is not below the waterline now.

s it possible it is connected to the skimmer?
That is likely. You can confirm by shutting down the pump and checking for water flow in the skimmer. This is most likely not an auto fill system. It looks like they just hard-lined a fill line to the pool.

It's real easy to turn it on and forget about it. Set a timer/alarm so you don't forget.

Turn off your pump. Turn on the hose bib. Turn the lever that goes to the white pvc line. Go to the pool and look/feel around for water coming into the pool. Chances are it is NOT an auto-fill - but just a fill line you need to monitor when adding water. If you use it or just a hose to add water, alwaysset a timer to remind you to shut it off.

Did you open the green hose bib handle and the little black handle nearest the pvc pipe? Can you hear water flowing from the hose bib location? You may not see any visible indication of water entering the pool as thr fill port may be well below the tile line.

Did you open the green hose bib handle and the little black handle nearest the pvc pipe? Can you hear water flowing from the hose bib location? You may not see any visible indication of water entering the pool as thr fill port may be well below the tile line.
Yes and I can hear/feel water flowing from the hose bib. I looked everywhere in the pool and there is no fill port.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.