Stupid mistake

Jun 25, 2014
wallkill,ny
Hello,
I added twice the amount of ph increaser to my pool and , when using the Taylor Testkit , I am getting a reading of at least 8.0 , since that's as high as the kit tests.

I can't really do anything about this since the pool stores are closed, but I will get it tested tomorrow. Is this a problem that could persist , or should ph decrease be able to bring it to an optimal level without affecting other parameters.
I am truly not comfortable pouring mutating acid in .
Thank you,
Jane

I’m confused. If you have the Taylor kit, why do you feel the need to have your water tested?

Why don’t you feel comfortable adding muriatic acid?

Reactions: Mdragger88
I'm with you on the muriatic acid. Won't touch the stuff.

You don't need the pool store test. Just assume your pH is 8, and add enough dry acid to bring it down about halfway to your goal. For example, say PoolMath says to add 1 lb of dry acid -- you'll add half a pound or 8 oz. Keep sneaking up on your goal by halves.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I’m confused. If you have the Taylor kit, why do you feel the need to have your water tested?

Why don’t you feel comfortable adding muriatic acid?
I only used tne kit to test the PH because I had added too much. I knew I was going to need start up chemicals yesterday, so I took the water to be tested for everything. They told me what to put in and I made the mistake of doubling the oh increaser.
After I retested with the Taylor pH reagent I knew it was high. I went back to the store and they tested it at 7.8. I'm not comfortable using the Muriatic as I'm afraid I'll splash the acid on me or the liner. If I have to , I will.

I only used tne kit to test the PH because I had added too much. I knew I was going to need start up chemicals yesterday, so I took the water to be tested for everything. They told me what to put in and I made the mistake of doubling the oh increaser.
After I retested with the Taylor pH reagent I knew it was high. I went back to the store and they tested it at 7.8. I'm not comfortable using the Muriatic as I'm afraid I'll splash the acid on me or the liner. If I have to , I will.
I don’t think it’s clear what happened. What Taylor kit do you have? The recommended one will test everything for you so there’s be no need to have the pool store test anything.

We really needs to know the current water test results to give good advice. The pool store testing is frequently very bad and so adding things to the water based on that advice causes problems. IF the pH is high, then adding acid is what it need to lower it. Dry acid adds other stuff to your water that you don’t want in it. Take a look at the article: Acid - Further Reading

I’ll say there’s really nothing to be scared about with muriatic acid. I’m more careful with the chlorine cause I don’t want it ruining my clothes. The best way to add it is to lower the bottle into the pool and pour it in slowly. The pool water will kinda float the bottle and make it easier to handle.

They also sell 1/2 strength stuff at hardware stores if that’s more comfortable. Of course it’s more expensive to use that.

Muriatic acid (aka hydrochloric acid) can be scary and dangerous at the levels we use. I was once burned by 18 M sulfuric acid, which admittedly is not muriatic acid. It left a dime-sized hole in my upper arm (I leaned accidentally against a buret) which I didn't feel until it started burning my nerves.

I don't just respect strong acids, I'm downright scared of them. I'd never shame someone for being scared of them, too. If @stelmowalker wants to use dry acid, he or she can come sit with me in the Dry Acid section.

Muriatic acid (aka hydrochloric acid) can be scary and dangerous at the levels we use. I was once burned by 18 M sulfuric acid, which admittedly is not muriatic acid. It left a dime-sized hole in my upper arm (I leaned accidentally against a buret) which I didn't feel until it started burning my nerves.

I don't just respect strong acids, I'm downright scared of them. I'd never shame someone for being scared of them, too. If @stelmowalker wants to use dry acid, he or she can come sit with me in the Dry Acid section.
Just in case of a misunderstanding, there’s no shaming of anyone from me. Just cautioning the poster about the side effects of dry acid so they can make their own choices. As well as perhaps dispel some potentially unreasonable fears about that type of acid. If you read the article I posted, it discusses the huge differences between sulphuric acid and muriatic acid. If you know the issues with dry acid and choose it anyway, there’s no shame to be placed in that.

Reactions: newdude
Dry acid is harmful to plaster and SWGs. Please use Muriatic Acid if you have either of those.

You just need to remember to stand upwind, and be cautious when pouring in to pool. Thin stream in front of a return, and brush after so none sits on the bottom of the pool.

Please consider that we do not buy "start up kits" of random chemicals. You probably don't even need half of them. We only put into our pools that which the water needs and nothing else. ALL chemicals can be purchased at Walmart, HD, Lowes and rarely do we here at TFP shop at the pool store. We also know that pool store testing is often inaccurate and they encourage you to spend far more than necessary.

Maddie ☮️

Reactions: Wobblerlorri
I'm not comfortable using the Muriatic as I'm afraid I'll splash the acid on me or the liner
It's not nearly as bad as everyone assumes at first. You have plenty of time to wash off you and the liner. You'll have several minutes, not seconds. You can use the the pool water coming out of the return to rinse your arm(etc) and won't even have to leave the area.

It's got some fumes so stand upwind and time your breaths. Or buy the half strength stuff that says Eco / Green / low fume on the bottle. You need twice as much but its a good way to ease into the stronger stuff. Use it a few times and you'll see you didn't do as bad of a job as you thought you would. Or continue to use the half strength MA forever. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.