jamjam

Jun 25, 2020
NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
My pool location is going to be about 18’ off my house. I just had a large cedar tree taken down between that location any my future equipment pad location. I left the stump thinking it would be easy enough for the excavator to pop it out during the dig (PB said excavator might charge a few hundred bucks for large stumps). Anyone else have any issues with stumps? Am I making a big assumption thinking he can dig this out fairly easy? I dug out as much as I could and cut out the main roots. I didn’t pay to have it ground thinking it is better having it out if it’s in the way of the plumbing 649D1022-3EE7-439C-8D97-7E3F649DE5D5.jpeg

Ugh, cypress and cedar tree roots are THE WORST! Big knuckles that come up out of the ground and the roots tear through everything they come in contact with.

I say warn the excavator about it in case they need to bring in gear to remove it. Some excavators can get hydraulic attachments that can auger out a stump without doing too much peripheral damage. That stump is really close to your foundation and wall so I would be really concerned about them going at it with a claw bucket. Those guys are good and can really finesse stuff but all it takes is for the guy to have one bad day and then your making calls to homeowners insurance about wall or foundation repairs.

INFORMATION, INFORMATION, INFORMATION get them as much info beforehand.

You did good not grinding it. All that does is set a 10 - 20 year timer for a sinkhole when it decomposes. An excavator can dig around it (more space before the house would be nice but it can be done) and pull it like a tooth. The downside there is you will have 4ft or more deep of fresh fill. Not exactly firm solid ground to put an equipment pad on. Make sure it’s properly compacted and filled with the right materials. Or the can use footer tubes down to solid earth and basically make you and equipment pad table where the legs hold the whole thing up, in the ground.

Pad will be back where that plywood plank is - you can see the ground wire from the sub panel against the house. It’s about 10’ from the stump.

When we had a remove trees for the pool the tree guys left a tall 3' stump. He said those were easier for the pool guys to leverage it out. The pools guys confirmed this when they came with their big digging equipment.

Maddie :flower:

When we had a remove trees for the pool the tree guys left a tall 3' stump. He said those were easier for the pool guys to leverage it out. The pools guys confirmed this when they came with their big digging equipment.

Maddie :flower:
This is what a builder we spoke with requested as well. Too late for the OP, but agree much better to have them try to dig it out than have it ground.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.