Stuff that stays with the pool

=============
RANT WARNING!
=============
This topic makes me see red, as it should not even exist! I don't know how things are in NC, but in CA houses sell before they even hit the market. It might only take days even if they do get listed. Which means Realtors are doing less than ever before. No advertising (they rely of Zillow, etc). No open houses (no cookies!). They just leave lock boxes for showings. Some now stage houses virtually. Some farm out the paperwork tasks. Worthless. And even though prices have skyrocketed, some Realtors are still trying to get 6%! Others have compromised... down to 5%. Whoopee. On a million dollar sale, they take 50K! For a few days work!! (And spare me the 50-50 split and the broker cut and blah, blah, blah... not havin' it.)

The point being, the very least they can do is to provide iron-clad purchase contracts that spell out the tiniest of details. Everything that can be seen or thought of. Everything that a buyer/seller is not trained to notice or think about. That is, after all, the essence of a Realtor's job: to apply their "experience" to make sure a 6- or 7-figure exchange of money goes off without the hint of a glitch.

So @Newdude and @ajw22 are on the right track. What is "customary" is irrelevant. The seller Realtor should go over every detail with the seller as to what goes and what stays, and provide that as a disclaimer to potential buyers (WELL BEFORE even an offer is accepted). Then all that minutia gets added to the purchase agreement for all to see and sign. Which brings me full circle: there should be no surprises or assumptions unrealized when the new owner gets the keys, that's the Realtor's job!! It's bad enough they expect a huge cut of the profits, they can at least earn it!!
=============
END OF RANT
=============

PS. To actually answer the question: you should leave (or expect to find) everything needed to use and maintain the pool, including brushes and vacs and test kits, etc. In the same way it's reasonable to expect the furnace to have a filter and the fixtures to have light bulbs.

Come on, serious money changed hands, give each other a break and extend some common curtesy, the same you would want if the roles were reversed (the golden rule method). If you're moving into a house with pool, you'll really appreciate having everything needed for the pool. If you're moving to a new house with pool, and the seller didn't share this philosophy, then treat yourself to some new gear. What, you're gonna cheap out and drag your year-old chemicals and warn out pool brush to your new home, and leave the buyer of your house in the lurch? That's a real slap in the face to someone that just handed you 100s of thousands of dollars.

Maybe one exception would be a stand-alone robot cleaner. You wouldn't expect to find a vacuum cleaner in the hall closet. I think taking the robot with you is not unreasonable, especially if you leave behind a manual vac and/or nice brush'n'net set. But if that's the case, then the robot shouldn't be in the pool during showings, that's not cool. Or at least "robot not included" should be part of the disclosure package your Realtor should be sending out to potential buyers (that's how we do in CA).

To sum up: full disclosure (EVERYTHING!) is the key to a fair deal that leaves everybody happy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mdragger88
Come on, serious money changed hands, give each other a break and extend some common curtesy,
I actually tried to do the right thing and was shot down per the contract. My dishwasher died a few weeks after signing and i bought a good model that matched the other new appliances. It wasnt the best model, but at $750 it was a far cry from the worst. But i didn't want the karma of the poeple we were buying from doing the same to me, so i skipped over the junk ones that would have been 'legal'.

I installed the dishwasher and the handle ripped off the first time i opened it, molleys and all, damaging the door. When the repair (warranty) man came, he said that particural model was crud and besides the handle issues, they also leaked frequently. I refused to waste good money on crud and returned it. I relayed the attempt to the seller and offered them $450 towards a dishwasher of their choice. They refused and demanded a working dishwasher. My lawyer tried a 2nd time, advising them to take the money and not a cheap piece of junk that they'd replace anyway but he was denied as well. so i found one on offer up for $60 and left them with a mismatched kitchen. I sent a video of it running to my lawyer and banned anyone from using it. The last time we used it, it worked. Go scratch.

Dirk, I understand your rant about real estate agents. It is not much different in NC from CA on how hot the market is right now. People are making all cash offers, sight unseen.

In my case, this won't be a difficult situation. I am buying my new home first. Closing is May 2. My current house will not be placed on the market until mid-July. I will have completely moved out by then. Therefore, whatever any potential buyer sees while viewing the house will be included with the house. That way they don't have to worry about if an appliance comes with the house or not. Around here, any installed appliances like dishwashers and ovens are included while free-standing appliances like refrigerators, washers and dryers are specified in the contract to be included or not included in the sale.

Last edited:
What is expected of and by buyers, sellers and realtors has changed so radically in the last couple years. I still can't wrap my head around it. I've personally experienced: all inspections waived, obvious defects ignored, no repair requests, crazy over-asking offers, all cash offers, bonuses thrown in. And I only paid 4% to my Realtor (still overpaid on that, IMO). Good to be a seller, that's for sure. Buyer... not so much...

Now, what I paid in capital gains is a rant for another day! 🤪

Reactions: Newdude
Nothing is “customary“ in a home sale. Everything that is not attached is negotiable. And even then chandeliers may or may not be included.

When buying a house you point to every light fixture, drapes, appliances, that is not on the listing agreement and ask if it is included. And then you list it in the contract. If it is not listed in the contract then it may be a gift from the seller or garbage they left.
And I would add that laws can vary WILDLY depending on where you are buying and selling. What may be considered a fixture (not in the traditional sense of the word) in state "A" may not be in state "B"... so I make sure any accessories (or fixtures) are written into the contract succinctly. -Not legal advice. ;)

Oh, and I would add one other thing. Lawyers that practice real estate law tend to have some of the highest premiums for malpractice insurance. Why you ask? Because it can be very laborious to cover "all bases" especially when it comes to R/E contracts that attempt to circumvent the intentions of one or more parties. Most agents (Realtors isn't quite accurate as that is a trade association and you aren't required to be a Realtor to be a sales agent and/or broker but it comes with privileges such as MLS access, but that is another discussion.) are required to use standard forms that are usually provided/approved by the local real estate commissions, if they venture too far out of the general amendments to these contracts or modify then, some states consider this the unlicensed practice of law. - Still not legal advice. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.