East Hampton NY
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I replaced the seal on my pump last week and the seal plate still has a small drip. I wanted to remove the pump and relubricate the connections, but I cannot disconnect one of the PVC unions connecting the pump itself. Any magic tricks to getting a stuck union to unfuse? It opened fine last week. Perhaps teh hot water from the spa (104) had some effect? Only option I have without getting this to open is to cut it out, but that would also mean replacing my Jandy valve as teh connections are way too tight.

Attachments

• IMG_4700.jpeg
    IMG_4700.jpeg
    800 KB · Views: 19
Just to confirm, are you trying to separate the grey union or remove the threaded fitting into the pump? I would try running heater water through the line and pouring heated water on the outside. Use a strap wrench or large (16") channel lock pliers. Disconnect the other union to relieve any binding on the joint.

If you do have to cut out the plumbing, you can still connect to the valve using a 2.5" coupler on the outside of the socket (where the "spa" sticker is), then use a reducer bushing to get you back down to 2". Check this out:

1654984102717.jpeg

This is another option. It slips into 2" PVC pipe and accepts a 2" coupler/fitting on the other side. You would cut the pipe flush at the valve face and insert the MagicMend.

Hopefully you'll be able to separate the union.

I am going to replace that unit with a CMP union like I have done on most of my other pool pumps and equipment (ordered yesterday on Amazon). No need to wait for it to get very stuck again. Its lived 13 years or so - I got my money's worth. And I'll use a 2.5-2 inch coupling to keep the Jandy valve. Thanks again for the help.

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.