Stubborn Drip

ronp854

May 17, 2020
OBX
Hi.

I have a Hayward DE filter with the SP07xx series vari-flow valve. I've had a number of annoying leaks opening it this year and DE getting back in to the pool. I have fixed all but one leak, a drip coming from the backwash hose connection. I replaced the spider gasket which was torn and the cause of the DE getting back into the pool, but I still get a drip, one every second or so. I ended up buying a new top part, the handle piece with spring, new gasket, etc. I still get the drip.

What am I missing to replace? I did lube the spider gasket with pool lube when I put it in, securing it with a drop of loctite glue at 10, 2, 4 and 8 oclock positions. Was spreading the lube on the spider gasket a mistake?

Thanks

Bump....

I am replacing the gasket and not doing the lube this time. While I'm not overly concerned about a drip, I would like to mitigate air going back into the system this way when it is off. Is it safe to put a ball valve here or cap it and only open when backwashing?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.