Struggle to lower pH after salt water conversion

On ALK testing I was doing it wrong ...

When testing you add drops until clear (on my kit anyway), but add another and make sure there is no more change, then subtract the one that had no effect from the count. For me it changed my reading by 10 from what I was doing.

Your PH should start to become a lot more stable (providing you haven't inadvertently left the air controls on) with ALK in the 40 - 50 range, and 40 is OK which is why I mentioned adding the extra drop during the test. As a backstop my better half brings a sample to the pool store, usually most test results jive - when they don't trust yours, not theirs.

I have not tried dry acid, but use Mercuric acid (MA), which is diluted Sulphuric acid. It's not expensive and I seem to recall being told it's preferable to dry acid but I cannot recall why. Perhaps it mixes faster making a quicker ALK follow-up test more likely to be settled? Anyway, settling is important before taking your readings, you don't want to overshoot and have to drive ALK in the opposite direction - that just adds more stuff to the water. Less is better.

Also, I hate to go against any advice here since I'm new at this stuff and maybe not the sharpest tool in the shed, but it's my understanding that adding borites is something you want to do after you get things where you wish to keep them since it acts like a buffer helping to prevent change (buffers PH rise). Some say don't add it all for the same reason as in the last paragraph, less is better. Heck, got one VERY respectable gent here saying after 2 months it really is time to dump the water (as in V*E*R*Y respectable :) ).

(as always, long winded) Methuselah

but it's my understanding that adding borites is something you want to do after you get things where you wish to keep them since it acts like a buffer helping to prevent change
^^^^^^^^ SO much this.

You need balanced water first. Many see no need for borates after that. Some like em anyway.

I do believe they made my sparkling water even sparklinger. I have water rainbow pics to prove it. :ROFLMAO:. But my new pool water without them was still bloody amazing.

The air controls are all the knobs that are above the water line. If you turn them, they make the jets feel more powerful. Most people think these are to turn the jets on or off but in reality the amount of water the runs through the jets is always the same, you are just controlling how much air is mixed with the water which makes them feel more powerful. If you are leaving these air control knobs open when the spa is not used, the spa turns on many cycles throughout the day to circulate the water in your tub. Mixing air with water naturally increases your pH. So what you want to do is minimize this by keeping your air controls closed off when spa is not in use (so that only water is cycling out of the jets and doesn't mix with air)

Ok thanks. Yup, definitely don't have those. Only knobs I have turn the waterfall on/off and the neck water in the captains chair on/off. No knobs which control anything with the jets.

As an update, I left the cover off most of today. I tested pH just now and its 7.6 on the Taylor color scale. Not sure if it just took time for everything to kick in, or having the cover off for a period of time helped. All my levels are perfect now !!! I definitely learned a BUNCH with this thread though. I cannot thank this group enough for all the education and assistance. I now feel more confident leveling everything off on my own without the local hot tub shop - I was never impressed with them anyway. Next time I wont start with increasing my TA so much... and maybe I can get pH in check much more quickly vs. this time.

Reactions: Newdude
Congrats...for next time?

Specifically this:
My steps for balancing my tap water are as follows: (using Pool Math for the exact amounts needed):

• since my TA is usually 150-170 I first lower the PH to 7.2 with Muriatic Acid
  • add a small amount of bleach to get the FC up to 6ppm
  • add a small amount of CYA in a sock to get to 40ppm
  • Optional - add a small amount of Calcium Chloride to get my water calcium hardness to 250ppm or so (helps prevents foaming in my tub)
  • add the amount of salt to get to 2000ppm - I am currently using "fancy" Himalayan Pink Salt that my wife finds on discount at Marshalls
  • Run the jets on full blast - then after 15-30 minutes check the PH - if it rises to 8 adjust with Muriatic Acid to get it back to 7.2 and repeat again in another 30 minutes. Once the PH settles down and stays stable in the mid 7's you can re-check your TA which should have dropped - I end up with a TA of 50 to keep my PH stable. This can take a while to finally settle down, and I even have to adjust this after several days until it finally gets very stable.
  • Drop in your SWCG
  • Let the water heat up and enjoy your tub.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.