Streaks and Spots in new plaster finish

poconojoe

May 17, 2021
I recently had my pool renovated after 17 years. The coping, tile and plaster were replaced. I chose Quartzscape Barbados Blue as my finish. Day one as the water was being dumped I noticed spots and streaks in the new finish. Everything has been maintained properly. Brushed 2X per day for the first 14 days and once a day thereafter. We are on day 21. I had the plaster contractor come out and take a look at my concerns. His response was "scaling." I am having a hard time believing this as we did everything according to the NPC startup procedures. His suggestion was to start a treatment of stain and scale remover and that all would be well. I am just looking for thoughts as to what the real issue may be. The spots on the attached photos are actually indented on the swim out step. pool2.jpgpool3.jpgpool1.jpgpool4.jpg

Doesn't look good and stain/scale remover isn't going to remove those indentations. Did you have a contractor who subbed out the plastering or did you contract all the jobs yourself?

How's your pool chemistry been? That should confirm or refute any scaling claims (and that shouldn't have happened on the day you added water anyway!)

Doesn't look good and stain/scale remover isn't going to remove those indentations. Did you have a contractor who subbed out the plastering or did you contract all the jobs yourself?

How's your pool chemistry been? That should confirm or refute any scaling claims (and that shouldn't have happened on the day you added water anyway!)
The contractor did not sub anything out. They came highly recommended and had favorable reviews. The pool chemistry has been spot on. We checked on a daily basis and made any adjustments necessary. You are correct though, this should not have happened on the first day. I have pictures of the entire process. We'll see where this goes.

The contractor did not sub anything out. They came highly recommended and had favorable reviews. The pool chemistry has been spot on. We checked on a daily basis and made any adjustments necessary. You are correct though, this should not have happened on the first day. I have pictures of the entire process. We'll see where this goes.
You might post what test kit you have and what your CSI level has been.

I recently had my pool renovated after 17 years. The coping, tile and plaster were replaced. I chose Quartzscape Barbados Blue as my finish. Day one as the water was being dumped I noticed spots and streaks in the new finish. Everything has been maintained properly. Brushed 2X per day for the first 14 days and once a day thereafter. We are on day 21. I had the plaster contractor come out and take a look at my concerns. His response was "scaling." I am having a hard time believing this as we did everything according to the NPC startup procedures. His suggestion was to start a treatment of stain and scale remover and that all would be well. I am just looking for thoughts as to what the real issue may be. The spots on the attached photos are actually indented on the swim out step. View attachment 333957View attachment 333958View attachment 333956View attachment 333959
Hi,
I recently had a new pool plastered with Quartzscapes Midnight Blue. My pool after 14 days looks exactly like yours with streaking. It is getting worse by the day with graying and small dark spots. Please let me know if there has been anything done about your plaster.

Attachments

• 20210707_181816.jpg
    20210707_181816.jpg
    427.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 20210707_182653.jpg
    20210707_182653.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot_20210707-191321_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210707-191321_Gallery.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 40
We are having similar issues. Pool was resurfaced with Quartzscape Tahoe Blue. What a mess we have had and are stumped in where to turn. The PC has lawyered up and he subcontracted the plasterer. The manufacturer says ours is scale too. Do you have an update on your situation?39258773-24C4-4359-B6F7-07B6A9193EE0.jpeg

Attachments

• C993EAF9-5C74-46BB-AE32-5CABB553D41E.jpeg
    C993EAF9-5C74-46BB-AE32-5CABB553D41E.jpeg
    488 KB · Views: 18
  • 487310C3-54F9-4011-8856-BFC927F39676.jpeg
    487310C3-54F9-4011-8856-BFC927F39676.jpeg
    454.6 KB · Views: 18
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.