Strange thing after unscrewing top of valve

Aug 23, 2009
Spring Valley, NY
I have a SP715XR50 Hayward Valve, which had a stuck handle. I unscrewed and removed the top and viola the handle moves.
HOWEVER, after I put it back on, and screwing in - I moved it to filter except I saw water pumping out the back as if I was backwashing or rinsing.
I assumed, I must not have lined it up correctly, so that the labels no longer align to their function
I tried all of the positions except water keeps pumping out the back.
It does seem to move as in some positions the water that spews out the back looks like it does when I backwash, and in another position it looks clear as it does when I rinse.
However, non seem to keep the water in the pool.
Any idea?

The valve - primarily. From the description it is hard to know the valve position as well as where the water is coming out. For instance, is it possibly a 3-way where it can be used to pump to waste (or a future water heater) and maybe the handle is in the wrong position when re-attached?

I realize that you provided the model, so this is the valve on your DE filter. Hopefully someone experienced with these can provide some help.

Reactions: duade
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.