Storing My Hayward Tigershark QC

Jun 4, 2017
Quincy/MA
Hi all!
New member (and fairly new pool owner...we put a gunite inground pool in 2 years ago) here in Boston. Looking forward to learning a lot from you all.

I recently bought a Hayward Tigershark qc for our gunite pool. The instructions say to store it on its side. I'm curious to know if anyone else has one and how do they store it when not in use. I'm planning on storing it under our deck with a wrapped poly tarp around it. Will I damage it if I store it set down on its base in a dry shaded place under the deck? Also, how do you like yours?

Thanks for your help!

It does say to store on it's side which is ironic as the companion cart that goes with it has it sitting flat. I have the cart and couldn't imagine what a pain it must be without it. Anyhow I think you'll be fine doing it the way you're planning. Also I really like my QC other than the odd time it gets hung up on the main drains.

Salty

Welcome to TFP!

Many cleaners are recommended to be stored on a caddy or on their side. This is to prevent permanent flat spots on the brushes. The caddies support the cleaners so that the brushes are suspended to prevent flat spots. I store my robot on its side.

Welcome to TFP!

Many cleaners are recommended to be stored on a caddy or on their side. This is to prevent permanent flat spots on the brushes. The caddies support the cleaners so that the brushes are suspended to prevent flat spots. I store my robot on its side.

Thanks, pooldv,
Not to belabor the point, and this is probably a dumb question, but should it be stored on its's "side" or on its "back"...laying on the Hayward label) or does it not matter as long as its not stored with all the pressure on the rollers?

Thanks and again...apologies if I'm splitting hairs.

I had a Tiger Shark for about 12 years and storing it on its side is not a good idea. The impeller motor shaft is straight when the unit is sitting flat. Sitting on its side puts the weight of the motor on the bearing that runs through water proof case to the impeller. It will eventually bind. It may take a couple of years. I use to store mine on the side this how I found this out. I also took apart the waterproof motor box and verified this.

I had a Tiger Shark for about 12 years and storing it on its side is not a good idea. The impeller motor shaft is straight when the unit is sitting flat. Sitting on its side puts the weight of the motor on the bearing that runs through water proof case to the impeller. It will eventually bind. It may take a couple of years. I use to store mine on the side this how I found this out. I also took apart the waterproof motor box and verified this.

thanks, mike
how do you store it and how do you like the tigershark?

I kept it in a storage box and would sit it on a short piece of 2x4 so the rollers and treads didn't touch anything. I really liked it but it died about a week ago. With a little care it lasted 12 years and did a good job of cleaning.

I kept it in a storage box and would sit it on a short piece of 2x4 so the rollers and treads didn't touch anything. I really liked it but it died about a week ago. With a little care it lasted 12 years and did a good job of cleaning.
Currently, I'm storing it inside our finished basement which leads out to our pool area. It's on soft carpet and not concrete. I'll try to grab a 2x4 to put underneath it, but do you think that will keep it "safe and sound" enough. I'm kind of uncomfortable laying it on its side for an extended period of time.

Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is my twelveth season with my Tiger Shark. Don't let the photo fool you, it's a Tiger Shark by AquaVac . I had to get a new housing last season after years of just tossing it into the pool. Never paid much attention to how I stored it. First six or sevens year I stored it in the box that it came in, then bought a caddy for it and have been storing on the caddy since. I think the caddy is a waste of money. It is just cheap molded plastic with the arms that you wrap the cord around being inserted into a slot and kind of wedge in. They are always falling out. It you don't want to store it on the rollers then go the 2 x 4 route.

I almost gave up on it this year because it started to spew ball bearings a couple of weeks ago and I was figuring that it was time to put it to rest. After reading here about the Maytronics A30 / S300 I actually gave Marina Pool and Spa a call to order one, but got a voice mail. While waiting for a call back I found replacement Wheel Tube Bearings and ordered a couple to replace the ones that lost all their ball bearings. The Tiger Shark is back up and running again and I never followed up with Marine Pool and Spa.

20170529_100108.jpg

I have had a Tiger Shark on its 5th season now and totally trouble free. I keep the pool open year round so it gets consistent use. When storing out of the pool, I gently lay it on top of a rectangular patio stone that is just a little smaller than the base of the machine, so the rollers never touch the ground. No need for a caddy. This machine is great and beats the other pool cleaner I had before. You bought the right machine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.