lamia1

Sep 28, 2022
Cave Creek, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I really need expert advice here, not opinions from other pool owners unless you have had the same issue. The finish looked very mottled with areas of lite and dark after months, with the builder claiming that's what it's supposed to look like, he eventually came out and re-acid washed it himself, not really a professional job in my opinion. The result is the finish is actually much worse than before with larger streaks of dark areas running across the bottom. I would also note that, after he left the pool refilling, the water was very dark and in my opinion, he didn't rinse out the acid when he was done. He claims it is our water supply (nothing in our sinks/toilets etc, just the pool water so that's obviously ridiculous). I've attached photos of the water and the finish. Finally, many of the self cleaning heads are no longer rotating, which the contractor claims is because we didn't clean the filter often enough (the pool is covered 95% of the time and only used by 2 adults) which isn't true.
1. Why is the finish worse now and will additional acid washing help or can that be damaging the finish?
2. Could the original issue be improper mixing of the material? Stone Scape/NPT is worthless as far as a warranty, so no possible help from them.
3. What else could have caused the filling pool water to appear this dark if not for him not rinsing it out properly?
4. Anyone think the acid washing caused the cleaning jets to get stuck?

Thanks for anyone's help.

North end.jpgdetail.jpgsouth end.jpgdirty-waterjpg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
No, this was the result of the second acid wash which just happened two weeks ago. We chose the lightest color finish they offered called salt and pepper, I got the sample from him today and dropped it on the least mottled area-the top deck that has only a few inches of water and it's clearly a very different shade- much more white than what we got. It was also picked as it matched the pool decking and tile seen in the second photo. I feel like we didn't even get the color we chose. The builder is calling the stone scape rep to come out and inspect. My opinion is that it's either a faulty product or installation, but now I want the color we chose, not what we got, I don't see how they can get the dark lines removed when they are the exposed pebbles.

color.jpgPool Finishes1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Put that sample under water with the new plaster to compare because the color of plaster changes under water. It looks like in the picture the pool plaster is dry? If so wet them both down. I'm wondering if the pool plaster is still holding some moister in that pic.

Put that sample under water with the new plaster to compare because the color of plaster changes under water. It looks like in the picture the pool plaster is dry? If so wet them both down. I'm wondering if the pool plaster is still holding some moister in that pic.
It is under water, sitting on the bottom but only about 6"deep. I'm not getting much help here.

Put that sample under water with the new plaster to compare because the color of plaster changes under water. It looks like in the picture the pool plaster is dry? If so wet them both down. I'm wondering if the pool plaster is still holdingIt some moister in thaItt pic.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.