Damascus, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Is the below normal and expected for the mortar between stones on a stone coping? I have 4 or 5 of these cracks that go full length of mortar. Builder says they are "hairline" cracks and not covered under any warranty. This is the first full season for the pool.

tAhTeloyqoGqHSez1ik49Xnh9NcEgg_fehDzr0pW-vR1CAgQ6wl3lqHvoV6IyAEeh91XAfVEmlMZD_hIhZbUJOqfityCkUS96jPxUA7JZtslBUzJ8jF3hKluBBUyJSEzAKwJt0vJmPLKjn9xXqpBfAqLRHyMjgf3ZnSgofNvtrAbT9qVId7QeStgX2BOdDQDXqVjA0vrFaR7igOAsHBSSHL1R6N9PCHEZTI4Rooa4bi0qFYvxFuINzETKksrYeVBr1rpR1KYpVDLMFTA-GtycvAzeyUNgmkDTgiGUNzfD1oWwng0RRIDAu1tE4KZYGw6-3VPwyVFm6HFIdhGpZOIN5SWO6fnbgxQqhbik3H5YMxWuYZRMe-MIe_LZf2ZMkrhVVqShm5nURCHuHbbkKA5L84QYqK-OVH8MoGd9juM1vezbxuxIPOU0Nq_w7TUPgrVgjMsn5rba1vNg2FXJ0661HSS-bY1p5-3U-iTN-2i1iydMaXxBEvFzeB9FLHlioshrHVIDIIRoJM31lQb0R31wxBjX6NUrrsnRbpQ90o0GCpAAOuGYKh_Ky0pItVIK5MjQour8Cugqnh0nKnj063h37Rmx2sNibnGAowqM8q0fa7nZMmojRYJGMQPuCoOSYRJkPX7mjx4NDYuJ5hfhkLy2lKemDg3gB7V=s957-no

N0mf7u224AA5rY6Kl7JI4fW9DdcdN6flRafVe7YJ_oJ3W53_yc5EarnUhQYzr3_JB5ZVe3Kq2WoOmd-NVuMyU_iLbZsUMDePf07CipGDwfzcmkc25pm73n_Irj483IAlOxrkhiVSbRMwsjiRpcjF9YQLScfC1kaZwP7Dudt0XXr-YsvqS35IwES3O6_i0wN-2DBL2phF104GMdhqPZLcpQUaPUJPoqZLHgDCrGN7pRSpGth5z9nJzlCpZVq7FkF75WfZTJPGtWdrmQKf2aS-b458UFLMgErEYU3rB_igp8lFG1R7wmabjYq902B0XWf00r39p03HKljYMaIgsyWDNkmdxGzMaXgYwZAHxQpg5k4doYPM11ou7WS0Sqjq6fsyc4N5XCvbMBl14rZhLN1_O9yxhs2QR0A4dqB-pbJx3clEHsjrk_I1DHHMrR_r-uzIs7qgABpgIU0PgJlJSUulmNhVRg95l75cc9xBjFZhQAkM8FHTbGIs4t-R5CuC5OclEvzC6Wpf1IbYur9uaoHfDXN_BYiEGHztFotwptIIC-AsWwxtZkdPPkNO0_m7Bmz4dJlavIEOT-g6esTMP9g2dhHqchiZLLYcMddAEjyhLv_JivYFrTvyXd_Eh_UQbNs-os4-h4eenzi-ZvdEeUk_sZbZpF5eXvf-=s957-no

Mine is a lot worse. We have black clay soil and it moves a bit, even though I try hard to keep it moist. I would expect that to be called normal wear and tear.

It looks like you still have foam between the coping and the deck. That should have been removed and filled with sikaflex epoxy or deck-o-seal a month or two after completion. It will also need to be replaced every few years.

Mine is a lot worse. We have black clay soil and it moves a bit, even though I try hard to keep it moist. I would expect that to be called normal wear and tear.

It looks like you still have foam between the coping and the deck. That should have been removed and filled with sikaflex epoxy or deck-o-seal a month or two after completion. It will also need to be replaced every few years.

Thanks! The PB told me that "their designs" to not require the foam to ever be removed and can be kept like that forever. I asked about this joint last year.

Your PB is full of baloney. :) The problem with not sealing that joint is water intrusion eventually leading to erosion. And probably ants and whatnot getting in there and digging around too.

Ditto pooldv.

If mastic was not in contract or practice standard cited. It’s on you & needs to be done.

A handful of the bluestone coping joints around my pool have similar cracks and there has been no harm so far.

Also, this is the guy that did our caulking. His name is Phil. In 2013 it was $5 per linear foot. Not cheap but his work is top quality. Our pool also had foam and it was our responsibility to handle the caulking. My excellent PB recommended Phil.

http://caulking-unlimited.com/

Poolgate— does coping have a solid or hollow sound when you knock on it?

No it is totally solid.

Also the foam is around 5" wide and goes from top to bottom of the joint between the deck and the coping. There seems to be a 1" tear strip on the top of the foam which I presume would be removed if one wanted mastic.

This was their answer when I asked about it.

No we do not install caulking on new pools. We build our pools so that caulking is not necessary. If you wish to do caulking, we strongly suggest that you wait at least a full winter season so that the decking has a chance to settle, or it will be very likely that you will have to redo it after the season.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A handful of the bluestone coping joints around my pool have similar cracks and there has been no harm so far.

Also, this is the guy that did our caulking. His name is Phil. In 2013 it was $5 per linear foot. Not cheap but his work is top quality. Our pool also had foam and it was our responsibility to handle the caulking. My excellent PB recommended Phil.

http://caulking-unlimited.com/

Good to know. So is it the owner’s responsibility to remove the foam after a couple months or does the hired caulking guy do it?

I have the exact same issue with hairline cracks in the mortar between every coping tile. We haven’t even plastered the pool yet! I’m hoping it’s just cosmetic and won’t lead to future problems. Did you address the issue or leave it?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.