Still struggling with Black algae, Chlorine Dioxide?

The pictures look more like worn away plaster than black algae to me. My pool is the same size and same age and has plaster chunks missing like that. Are you sure it’s not just the dark gunite showing through chipped plaster?

Yes, when I was keeping my FC high after treating for Yellow Algae. I didn't note all my FC levels on my pool math page. I wasn't sure how to use the pool math page during treatment cause all I was testing was chlorine at that time. I did keep written notes and see that from Aug 1st to Aug 20th my FC level ranged from 26 FC to 22 FC. This was 19 days of high FC plus I did two phosphate treatments during this time. As well I was wirebrushing the black algae spots and breakouts and rubbing trichlor pucks over the areas a couple times a day.. very little noticeable change in the BA.
👍🏻
For future reference you can always just log one parameter/addition (like fc) & save your log. It will just use the last record for the other parameters on the main page. It Doesn’t mess anything up & allows u to keep good records. I hope the bleach sprayer option gains u some headway on your issue.

The pictures look more like worn away plaster than black algae to me. My pool is the same size and same age and has plaster chunks missing like that. Are you sure it’s not just the dark gunite showing through chipped plaster?
Interesting thought. I have other spots on my pool floor with worn out patches that don't show this black stuff underneath though. Also I have noticed at times it will flare up and look blacker as well as new black spots appearing on my stairs and walls. I will follow the bleach sprayer idea and see how the black spots respond.

Interesting thought. I have other spots on my pool floor with worn out patches that don't show this black stuff underneath though. Also I have noticed at times it will flare up and look blacker as well as new black spots appearing on my stairs and walls. I will follow the bleach sprayer idea and see how the black spots respond.
If they flare up then, yea may be algae. I had some a month or two ago and I poured liquid chlorine from the bottle down onto them during a SLAM and that took care of them. You probably just need a lot more chlorine.

Reactions: aqua mango
I have never found the trichlor pucks to work for me. Find whatever method works to disrupt the bio film. Wire brush, wooden pick, even a pressure washer. Then hit it with as much concentrated LC as you can. The pump sprayer works best I have found (method pioneered by @cowboycasey).

Please just do me the favor of trying this out. Then we can discuss all the rest of your ideas.
It does work great and just by chance I thought of it one day... some 10% or 12.5% in a sprayer should get after it great.. :)

Reactions: aqua mango
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.