Still have cloudy water...

Seems like you are nervous about adding FC. Have you read about the FC/CYA relationship?

When your CYA gets to 30, you will be taking FC up to 12. If you take CYA to 40, it will be FC of 16. First you need to get that pH down to 7.2-7.4. You don't want your pool sitting around with 1ppm FC that long. That's why I suggested 7.

These are your shock levels to get rid of the cloudy water.

Seems like you are nervous about adding FC. Have you read about the FC/CYA relationship?

When your CYA gets to 30, you will be taking FC up to 12. If you take CYA to 40, it will be FC of 16. First you need to get that pH down to 7.2-7.4. You don't want your pool sitting around with 1ppm FC that long. That's why I suggested 7.

These are your shock levels to get rid of the cloudy water.

I understand that CyA basically protects the chlorine, helps it not burn off in the sun. But, that you can over do it too. I didn't realize the correlation as you describe it.
So, In the past couple of hours I've added what pool math says for pH of 7.4 and FC target of 5. Should I be adding shock too?

edit- 2-hrs later I have 1.5 FC and pH of 7.4

No. Don't add "shock". Just bleach or liquid chlorine.
Here is a little information on CYA: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

TFP does not generally recommend using "shock". When pools need help, like yours, we do what is called a SLAM which is where we elevate FC to a certain level (based on the chart above), and then maintain it at that level until certain criteria are met. One of those criteria is clear water.

I am encouraging you to get the pH down so that you can begin a SLAM and clear your water. Here is a link to how a SLAM is done: Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Please test the FC 10 minutes after you add it and report back your findings.

Please test the FC 10 minutes after you add it and report back your findings.

Ok. Just added some 20 Mule Team to raise the pH a bit. Then, I'll add another 111 oz bleach that PoolMath is calling for and will check FC after 10-min.

edit- FC 10-min after adding more bleach is 8

edit 2- Since the last FC reading I have swept the pool, and just did another FC, got a 7 (less than 2-hrs later). It looks like my shock level should be 12, should I add more bleach?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If your CYA is already 33 now and you just added more yesterday, use 40 as your CYA and shoot for that FC of 16. From 7-16, that's 203oz of 8.25%.

Just checking: do your jugs say 8.25%? Can you look for a date code on the bottle? Maybe a 5 digit number?

If your CYA is already 33 now and you just added more yesterday, use 40 as your CYA and shoot for that FC of 16. From 7-16, that's 203oz of 8.25%.

Just checking: do your jugs say 8.25%? Can you look for a date code on the bottle? Maybe a 5 digit number?

I added the stabilizer last night when my CyA was <30, it was 33 this morning.
The bottles of bleach are 8.3% Sodium Hypochlorite, date code is? It says MC 082 2333 in black ink, on the bottom. On the side, in black ink it syas A31615 IL-1

edit- just checked FC again. Down to 5. Added enough, per Pool Math to get back to 12.

^^. Also, keep testing and bringing your FC back up to 16. Do this every two hours if you can.

clorox might have changed their date coding. That number doesn't mean anything to me. Would you mind double checking the numbers to make sure there's no typo? Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.