Steps in Converting to a SWG pool

Ok.... I was watching a video that talked about adding an SWG. Below is a picture of the diagram. Is the cell vessel the SWG, and where would the VS pump go? Does the VP replace my sand filter. Or what does it replace on my equipment? Is it just and additional thing I need to add to my pool equipment?
The YouTube video that talks about it is here. But i didn’t hear anything about a VP pump.
That would replace your filter pump.. If you have reason to believe your pump is going out then I think it is worth it to pay the price. To just swap out a good running pump would take over 5 years to recoup the costs for me.

Reactions: Mendy48
Mendy,

Looks like your pool equipment is fairly new so if you're on a tight budget you can just replace the motor like I did. It gives you almost all the benefit at a much lower cost. With your fairly short season the payout will be longer for your location but it will pay out and could be more like 3 years or so. But if your budget is super tight and you can afford your electric bill as is I'd go for the swg first. If you size it right you'll actually be able to reduce run time on your pump because you won't have to add chlorine any more. I went with a Circupool unit and they have a lot of models to choose from. There are others as well and I'd price them all. I chose based on $/lb chlorine, warranty, and reputation here. There's a great site you can find a brand comparison table that does the math for you. Click here to view it. You'll want a cell that's rated for at least 40,000 gal to meet TFP's guideline for sizing 2x your pool size.

Good luck to you and keep the questions coming!

Chris

So the VS Pump replaces the Sand Filter then? What is the benefit of having both the UV Pump and the SWG versus just going with the SWG? Why get the UV Pump if the SWG just does the same work? Yeah! I'm stupid with all these questions, but I want to do what's right for me and my budget for sure.

Last edited:
So the VS Pump replaces the Sand Filter then? What is the benefit of having both the UV Pump and the SWG versus just going with the SWG? Why get the UV Pump if the SWG just does the same work? Yeah! I'm stupid with all these questions, but I want to do what's right for me and my budget for sure.

Mendy,

I think we're confusing you. You need a pump and a filter regardless of your disinfecting method. If you switch to SWG you just install it after your filter right before the water goes back to the pool. The SWG does not need an additonal pump. All of the other UV equipment you have is removed. The filter pump you have is perfectly fine to use with SWG. Over time you will save some operating cost on your electric bill with a VS pump. But in your location the payout takes longer since you don't run your pool all year long. So on a tight budget I'd defer the change to a VS pump and get the SWG to make your pool easier to maintain plus the nicer "feel" most salt pool users report.

Chris

Last edited:
I think you mean VS pump instead of UV pump.

I certainly am not an equipment expert, but here is my equipment 101 understanding:
Filter - Filters out particles, hair, etc from your water. No change in filter needed when changing to a SWCG
Pump - This simply moves the water. There are different types:
  • Single Speed - This is what you have and it is either on or off. Simple, yet older technology. The "On" is typically equivalent to high speed on the other pumps
  • Dual Speed - This has a high and a low setting. Low setting will use less electricity and ultimately save you $ vs high.
  • Variable Speed - You get to choose the speed and are not limited to pre-set speeds. This is great because you can run at only the speeds needed to run your SWCG. This has the lowest monthly operating costs, but also costs the most to purchase.

If I understand, you want to upgrade to a SWCG. I would just stick with this and leave your pump alone for now. When it is time to replace your pump, I would look at replacing with a dual speed or variable speed pump.

Everything 1-10 stays existing. New SWG unit gets installed on 10. 11-14 gets cut away and thrown out and the pipe from the new SWG gets reattached to 15 which returns back to the pool.

I would personally elbow the 10 pipe and put the SWG there on the way to the bottom of the pic and bury the new pipe over to 15 so you have clear access to your filter instead of stepping over what is there now, or it’s replacement if you put the new one there.

Everything 1-10 stays existing. New SWG unit gets installed on 10. 11-14 gets cut away and thrown out and the pipe from the new SWG gets reattached to 15 which returns back to the pool.

I would personally elbow the 10 pipe and put the SWG there on the way to the bottom of the pic and bury the new pipe over to 15 so you have clear access to your filter instead of stepping over what is there now, or it’s replacement if you put the new one there.

So basically we will need a new PVC pipe to connect to 15 then from pipe 10. I don't use the chlorinator (only when I go on vacation), nor do I use the UV. Why can't I just shut both of those things off (which they are off now), and just add the SWCG to pipe 10? Or would getting a new PVC pipe to connect from 10 to 15 more reasonable. Looks like it would be.

Reactions: Newdude
You can leave it all there and not use it and just add the SWG onto 10.

The vacation will be covered by the new SWG and PVC pipe is dirt cheap. For $20 (ish) you can clean up the whole area and have easier access to everything and not have the other stuff freeze/leak down the road. B

Plus you will already have 99% of fresh pipe cement and primer left over. 5 years from now you’ll probably have to buy it again if you want to clean/fix 11-14.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can leave it all there and not use it and just add the SWG onto 10.

The vacation will be covered by the new SWG and PVC pipe is dirt cheap. For $20 (ish) you can clean up the whole area and have easier access to everything and not have the other stuff freeze/leak down the road. B
Interesting... I may just want to get rid of the whole thing (11-14) and buy a PVC pipe. Do you have a link I can go to buy one?

Take your picture above to your local hardware store (Ace, Home Depot, Lowes, etc), with the user manual here (Circupool 60k) if that is the one you are considering, and they can assist you with what you would need. You may want to have the dimensions for 10,11,12,13, and 14 so they know how much pipe you need, but I imagine 8ft will be plenty sufficient. I can't tell from the picture, but I am assuming that is all 2" PVC, should say on the side of it. Store plumbing helper will help you pick elbows, primer, glue, etc to make it fit correctly.

My guess is three maybe four elbows, PVC (1.5" or 2" depending on existing) cut to different lengths, PVC primer and glue and you would be set.

Last edited:
Mendy,

There hasn't been much discussion about the power supply as best I can tell (haven't read all the posts). If you have a timer to control your existing pump you can just power the chlorinator from that. If you currently just turn the pump on manually, you'll wire the chlorinator to that switch. If you normally turn off the pool when you leave for a long period of time just gert a cheap floating chlorinator and use trichlor tablets. Just make sure you keep the CYA level in the middle of the range most of the time. The tablets add CYA and it lingers in the pool for a much longer time than the chlorine they add so you don't want it to go too high. This is the cheapest up front cost way to go. Next is to add a simple timer control for your pump and wire the chlorinator to the timer. You can get them for under $100. This way you just set your pump to run long enough to chlorinate the pool. You'll have a wide range of run time and you choose what works best for you. Set shorter time and run your chlorinator at a higher % power or longer and lower % power. This is a great solution for you but a little more cost up front and some additional wiring.

On the piping modifications, you just pick the easiest place to add the cell for you. There are LOT's of options. I've pasted a photo of mine below. If you have room you just cut the pipe in an existing run and insert the cell plus the flow switch but it has to be properly spaced. I didn't have room to do that so I added a horizontal run. You can also put the loop vertically... no right or wrong just whatever works best for you. If you do a horizontal loop like mine you'll need a support where the stack of wood was in the photo. A hardware store or big box store with person that really knows what he (or she) is talking about is very helpful. Make sure you ask if they're really a plumber. A few are and many are not. The ones that aren't are not very helpful. Buy extra fittings anyway, you can return unused ones after you're done.

I hope this helps.

Chris

1588603462774.png

Reactions: Mendy48 and Newdude
Where ever you are cutting the pipe to add the SWG, Bring a small piece with you to HD/Lowe’s or the hardware store. (It will be 1.5 or 2 inch pipe). Show the employee the pic and have a drawing to show how you decide to reroute it to know how many elbows you’ll need.

My photoshop skills are awful but maybe someone here can draw up 2 or 3 possible configs with a parts list.

I bought my Circupool generator and VS pump online from Discountsaltpool.com. I have had it several years now and it works great. Check out there website, they have lots of good information and package deals. Get a unit that is rated for at least twice the the size of your pool.

Just seen this thread so thought I would add my "cents" worth.
Although I am in Europe and had to convert your 17000 galls to Cubic metres ( around 64 cu m) I have 2 pools here as we have letting property and in France if you have letting properties with a pool you are not allowed to use SWCG, so I have a small chlorine doser (peristaltic pump) attached to the system. This works well and only costs around €240 (you can do the math) and one of our pools is around your size.
I have worked on SWCG pools and have found them OK but costly for spares for the electrolyser and not much different to swim in than a properly controlled chlorine pool. After all the salt you add is being converted to sodium chloride to disinfect the water.

I see you've already received lots of great responses with good technical info, so I won't add to that. But I will provide a testimonial that I converted to a SWG last summer and I could smack myself that I hadn't done it sooner. The install process was simple and took me no more than about 30 minutes and within about a day, the chlorine levels in the pool were right in line (granted I had it in line to begin with, but the SWG kept it going without skipping beat). In fact, I had friends over for the weekend and actually installed it myself while everyone was still swimming (I had dumped in bags of salt the night before)!! No more carrying bottles of bleach!!! Good luck and enjoy!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.