Alfredux

Aug 12, 2022
Dallas, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have recently installed a 10 GPD Stenner pump and have played around with dosing for almost two weeks now (12.5% chlorine). What I noticed is that I need significantly more chlorine when using the pump and trickling the chlorine slowly compared to what I needed when I was adding liquid chlorine manually using a measuring cup. For example, my pool typically required about 50-60 oz daily and shocking once a week, but when using the pump I had it turned up all the way to 130 oz per day and it still was testing at about 1 ppm. The pump is scheduled to run 20-30 min intervals 3 times a day (morning, mid-day, and evening). By the way, all the other numbers (CYA, Ph, etc.) are fine and I did test the pump to confirm how much does it distribute per minute (it was 1.25 oz per minute at max speed).

Is this normal? Has anyone else noticed that when trickling the chlorine slowly using the pumps, you end up using a lot more chlorine?

I have a standard "T" connector for the Stenner tube, but it makes me wonder if the pressure in the pipe is somehow making the flow much slower...

Is the volume of your tank decreasing by 130 oz per day? That would indicate you are getting full flow into the plumbing. If not, then the constraint is in the Steiner pump plumbing, i.e. you are not getting the LC in the pool you thought you were.

I had read on a previous post regarding Steiner pump that you may need to increase your CYA to range similar recommended for SWCG. Because you are dosing small amounts over a period of time, the UV can burn off that small incremental addition of LC - so maybe a CYA of 70 is more in line to protect the LC additions. See the FC/CYA Levels and select the SWCG tab.

Is this normal? Has anyone else noticed that when trickling the chlorine slowly using the pumps, you end up using a lot more chlorine?
It is not. I always got what I expected with my stenner. Where is your tank (is it in the sun)? How often are you adding LC and what is the date on the LC that you are buying. My guess is that your chlorine is degraded when you guy it, or degrades quickly in the tank.

Chlorine Date Code Decoder - Further Reading

I had read on a previous post regarding Steiner pump that you may need to increase your CYA to range similar recommended for SWCG. Because you are dosing small amounts over a period of time, the UV can burn off that small incremental addition of LC - so maybe a CYA of 70 is more in line to protect the LC additions.
I would be a bit careful with this recommendation and include a qualifier. If you are dosing your 130oz at one time, this may not be the best idea. If you are dosing that 130oz evenly over the day, this might be a good idea. I did NOT dose this way. I dosed mine just like adding LC, all at once in the evening. I kept my CYA at 50.

It is not. I always got what I expected with my stenner. Where is your tank (is it in the sun)? How often are you adding LC and what is the date on the LC that you are buying. My guess is that your chlorine is degraded when you guy it, or degrades quickly in the tank.

Chlorine Date Code Decoder - Further Reading

I would be a bit careful with this recommendation and include a qualifier. If you are dosing your 130oz at one time, this may not be the best idea. If you are dosing that 130oz evenly over the day, this might be a good idea. I did NOT dose this way. I dosed mine just like adding LC, all at once in the evening. I kept my CYA at 50.
I have one of those dark grey tanks, so I am hoping that the sun does not affect the chlorine as much. It does get about 2-3 hours of sun during the day (tucked in the corner by the fence around pool equipment). I typically buy and add chlorine every 2 weeks or so, but never bothered reading the cryptic LC dates since I was buying it from the pool supply store and assuming there is enough turnover in the inventory. Wondering if there is a way to test the actual % of the chlorine in the tank... Btw, CYA based on my last test was 40.

Is the volume of your tank decreasing by 130 oz per day? That would indicate you are getting full flow into the plumbing. If not, then the constraint is in the Steiner pump plumbing, i.e. you are not getting the LC in the pool you thought you were.

I had read on a previous post regarding Steiner pump that you may need to increase your CYA to range similar recommended for SWCG. Because you are dosing small amounts over a period of time, the UV can burn off that small incremental addition of LC - so maybe a CYA of 70 is more in line to protect the LC additions. See the FC/CYA Levels and select the SWCG tab.
I can see it decreasing, but it is really hard to tell by how much. The tank is dark grey and it only has the markings for 10 gal, then 15 gal, etc. I may have to mark the tank and then see how long it takes to burn 1 or 2 gal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.