Stenner Chlorine Pump - Installation

May 8, 2011
I recently installed a used Stenner 45M5 that maxes out at 50 gallons/day. I've enclosed it for additional weather protection. It runs off an Intermatic digital timer. It seemed to overheat initially so I installed the weatherproof 12v supply and fan.

My pool pump runs 16 hours/day to complete two cycles. It shuts off from 10am - 6pm, when the sun finally gets behind the backyard trees.

The Stenner runs for 25 minutes every night at max output beginning at 2am resulting in 111 ounces of 10% bleach going into the pool. Pulls from 50 gallon barrel painted to match the Pentair filter.

I get all my bleach at Home Depot @$3/gal. I buy 10 3-packs (30 gal) at a time.

Chemicals are perfect. FC=7
CC=0
PH=7.4
CYA=50

Just thought I would share setup.

20200711_130506.jpg

Nice setup. I just contacted Stenner to find a distributor in my area. Can you share part numbers of what you ordered? Where did you get the enclosure? It seems a perfect fit. Did you purchase the liquid storage container from Stenner as well? it seems they have a package deal. One last point, can you post a picture of how you mounted your injection into the flow stream? Thanks.

Reactions: kindred2k1
Nice setup. I just contacted Stenner to find a distributor in my area. Can you share part numbers of what you ordered? Where did you get the enclosure? It seems a perfect fit. Did you purchase the liquid storage container from Stenner as well? it seems they have a package deal. One last point, can you post a picture of how you mounted your injection into the flow stream? Thanks.
Very nice and clean looking install @kindred2k1

@HermanTX - I can't speak to OP's purchase location and enclosure, but a few years back I found the best price at Locke Well & Pump - Pump service orlando repair pumps sales. It was an easy online transaction. I used a blue 15 gallon plastic used syrup container that I found on Craigslist for $20. Very easy setup. I think it was an add on, but I added the rain cap to the pump and it is mounted to the side of my house along with the other equipment. Link to my write up in my signature for the details.

Last edited:
The enclose is straight from Amazon. Largest option.

The 50 gallon plastic barrel was a local FB Marketplace purchase for $20.

The Intermatic timer was purchased at Home Depot for $35.

I'll try to get a pic of the injection point tomorrow.

Very nice setup. The only part that is troublesome to me is the 111 ounces a day. In my opinion you'd be better off going SWCG. It will be automatic too once you dial it in. Pay up front for it but then not have to worry about chlorine availability and or lugging it.

I recently installed a used Stenner 45M5 that maxes out at 50 gallons/day. I've enclosed it for additional weather protection. It runs off an Intermatic digital timer. It seemed to overheat initially so I installed the weatherproof 12v supply and fan.

My pool pump runs 16 hours/day to complete two cycles. It shuts off from 10am - 6pm, when the sun finally gets behind the backyard trees.

The Stenner runs for 25 minutes every night at max output beginning at 2am resulting in 111 ounces of 10% bleach going into the pool. Pulls from 50 gallon barrel painted to match the Pentair filter.

I get all my bleach at Home Depot @$3/gal. I buy 10 3-packs (30 gal) at a time.

Chemicals are perfect. FC=7
CC=0
PH=7.4
CYA=50

Just thought I would share setup.

View attachment 155964
Hi,

That is a very nice setup. Thank you for using Stenner Pump for your application. We are attaching the Basic Service Manual which may be of help. If at any time, you need assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us here.

Attachments

• Stenner Basic Service Manual.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 10
Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice and clean looking install @kindred2k1

@HermanTX - I can't speak to OP's purchase location and enclosure, but a few years back I found the best price at Locke Well & Pump - Pump service orlando repair pumps sales. It was an easy online transaction. I used a blue 15 gallon plastic used syrup container that I found on Craigslist for $20. Very easy setup. I think it was an add on, but I added the rain cap to the pump and it is mounted to the side of my house along with the other equipment. Link to my write up in my signature for the details.
Thanks @GDN I did follow your earlier post which gave me the original idea to contact Stenner. I like seeing different concepts.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Very nice setup. The only part that is troublesome to me is the 111 ounces a day. In my opinion you'd be better off going SWCG. It will be automatic too once you dial it in. Pay up front for it but then not have to worry about chlorine availability and or lugging it.

I have approximately $250 total investment in this setup. Bleach expenses are $78/summer month. That's potentially 3 years of use before getting to the cost of a 40K+ SWCG.

I have had 2 prior pools that I converted to salt water so I am familiar with the associate costs. I totally get where you're coming from, but I make 1 trip a month, HD loads it curbside, I back my truck right up to the barrel, and spend 15 mins filling it up. I just couldn't rationalize the startup cost for a SWCG. And with my minimum investment, if I change my mind it isn't a significant loss.

Reactions: Flying Tivo
Nice installation. I love my Stenner setup and after 5 years of operation (pool open all year) I've learned to replace the pump tube each spring. If it cracks inside your enclosure you will have a bad day.

Also, be careful selecting the tubing & connectors that come in contact with chlorine. It's nasty stuff and quickly degrades many plastics to the point of failure. Early on, I had a fitting on the suction side crack that reduced the flow and was difficult to locate. I now use just the black Stenner tubing, no splices and added a flow indicator to tell at a glance all is well.

Nice installation. I love my Stenner setup and after 5 years of operation (pool open all year) I've learned to replace the pump tube each spring. If it cracks inside your enclosure you will have a bad day.

Also, be careful selecting the tubing & connectors that come in contact with chlorine. It's nasty stuff and quickly degrades many plastics to the point of failure. Early on, I had a fitting on the suction side crack that reduced the flow and was difficult to locate. I now use just the black Stenner tubing, no splices and added a flow indicator to tell at a glance all is well.
Hi,

Thank you for choosing Stenner Pumps for your application! We are attaching the Basic Service Manual which may help. If at anytime you need assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us here.

Attachments

• Stenner Basic Service Manual.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 4
Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.