Stenner check valve not checking

Bandit5

Bronze Supporter
Jul 19, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
I am nearly complete on my Stenner pump install. Everything is setup, but I am waiting on my electrician to install a 220V outlet powered only when the filter pump is running. I removed my temporary plug from my 2" x 2" x 1/2" FPT slip fitting and installed the check valve to see if would stop the water flow and essentially work as a plug until the pump was operational. When the filter was running the check valve would spurt water from the back onto the pad. I turned the filter pump off, connected the 1/4" black hose and put the other end of the hose into an empty bleach bottle to see if the line was needed for the check valve to work. The result was that the bleach bottle slowly filled up with water spurting through the line. I have reinstalled my 1/2" plug until the electrical work has been completed.

With the way that this pump will be setup, the Stenner pump will always be running when the the filter pump is running, so I am assuming that that 100psi from the Stenner pump should eliminate this problem. I disassembled and ensured the check valve was put together correctly and did not notice any defects. Is this how the check valve should work or is it something that I can fix?

Ideally it should completely stop the flow, but it's not a big deal if it doesn't. Since back pressure seals the valve, pool plumbing usually doesn't run at high enough pressure to force the check to seal tight, and therefore it leaks a little. You can take the check valve apart, and see if there's something in it that keeps it from closing. Also, the pump itself acts as a check valve as long it's hooked to the tubing.

The pump itself will act as a check valve because the pump tube is always pinched off in 2 places by the roller assembly. The only time a leaky check valve would be a problem is if the tubing came apart or a pump tube split out, then pool water would leak backwards. If the pump is installed outside that would not be a big deal as the leak would be pretty small and unlikely it would hurt anything.

You say the stenner is going to run all the time the pool pump runs, is this an adjustable rate pump then? The adjustable pump runs the motor all the time but only intermittently engages the pump. If it's not adjustable how are you regulating the dosing?

Most here install a fixed rate stenner along with a timer. The timer turns the pump on and off and dosing is controlled by runtime. The short runtime helps the motor and other components last longer by causing less wear and tear. The adjustable mechanism makes more noise and the mechanical timer mechanism makes it more complicated, there is just a lot more to go wrong with it.

I liked the idea of a fixed pump for a mechanically simple device but I decided to keep the two separate so that I could run the filter less and save on electricity. Also, i figured it would be easier to fine tune. If I change my mind I could probably just set it on 100 and adjust the filter from there... or replace it with a fixed rate pump later.

The pump is in my basement right next to my sump pump. It is only 3 feet away from my filter outside. I ran conduit underground for the chlorine line and it comes out of the ground right next to my injection site through a conduit cap with a grommet. I have no idea how loud it will be as I can't test the pump without a 220v outlet, but I hope it will be ok in the basement.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.