Starting up old pool

One last topic on this restart, you folks have been very helpful. As I mentioned, we're starting with well water (which appears to be very soft but high pH, odd combo), and one aspect of this well has been periodic need to shock the well to remove 'iron algea' which I believe is actually iron bacteria. We do that and use a coarse filter to keep the well water clean with a seperate house filter. One thought, since I"m putting fresh water in the pool, is that I could use MPS to shock the water initially. The reason I'm wondering about this is that many of the negatives (http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/archive/in ... -1821.html) are actually ok in this case:
1) reduced TA and pH is good for me
2) no chloramines yet becasue the water is fresh.
3) I probably have a fair amount of organics in the well, which should be dealt with before starting the pool chemistry.

Any thoughts on this?

It's still expensive. Just shock with bleach, using the Pool Calculator to tell you how much you need to add. That will get sanitizer in the pool as well to kill any organics. The chlorine and UV from the sun is plenty good at oxidizing as long as you keep enough chlorine in the pool.

OK, sounds good, just was trying to avoid so much chlorine.

With such high TA (250) to start, I'm going to be adding a lot of acid then bringing back up the pH. Since I want to do borates, should I just use borax to get pH back up?

dbh369 said:
OK, sounds good, just was trying to avoid so much chlorine.

With such high TA (250) to start, I'm going to be adding a lot of acid then bringing back up the pH. Since I want to do borates, should I just use borax to get pH back up?

Why? There is nothing wrong with chlorine. It's gotten a bad wrap... stick with it.

You plan on using Borates? And your asking if you should use Borax instead of aeration via the Lowering TA method of aeration/acid? Not a good idea as Borax does affect TA a little. Better off following the process and adding Borates later. Borates aren't essential - by the way. But if you're bored... lol There are many many many successful TFP'rs that don't use Borates.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.