Starting up an inflatable hot tub that sits in storage 10 months a year?

Skenn81

Apr 23, 2018
Florida
It sits in the attic pretty much all year outside of the two months down here in Florida when its not 95 degrees every day.

It comes down, gets inflated, filled up with 210 gallons of water, TFP methods are applied, that article about how to use chlorine in your spa is followed.

It usually takes a while of SLAMing to get it to stay stable. When its put away I am assuming it's never fully dried out and the filters themselves are sittting in the dark for 10 months, which get dried out as best as they can and then put in the box.

Should I be doing anything different each year?

Right now the water is clear but using CL up, its in SLAM mode. CYA is at 40, pH is 7.4, TA is coming down by aeration. CL getting used up pretty quickly though, jacking it up to 20 every 4 hours to keep the SLAM going.

Should I be doing anything different each year?
Sounds like you are doing great!!!

Here is a good resource:

I would still suggest purging with Ahhsome.

Also, I’d just buy new cartridges each time. Leaving to sit in a dark and possibly moist environment is begging for a pseudomonas infection.

You could dry them out and then sprinkle the material with baking soda before storage to act as a dessicant.

Reactions: Methuselah
About the Ahhsome, is this like a once a season thing? I will get some and add it to my routine. I will also get some new filters anyway. These are several years old now, they are only used for 2 months but still would be good to switch.

As for my overnight test, 11 last night around 9pm, just got 10.5 this morning at 7am. Looks like I have passed. pH is holding at 7.6, TA is still high at 110 but I figure that will come down as it runs.

Should I still purge or will I be good for a while? Do people purge when getting ready to put them back into storage?

I would purge just to be sure that any biofilm that developed in storage would be cleaned out. I got a new tub this year and all kinds of stuff came out from the short time in transit to my first fill.

SLAM level at 40 CYA is 16, and you are running it up to 20.

Chart

This probably has the ability to kill most bad stuff, but I'd definitely want to clean the filter before using it, AND after you get CHL demand under raps.

Purging is also a good thing, and Mat's advice to make sure filter is dry before putting it away is likely worth it's weight in gold. I dry mine over an AC vent for several days.

Before you put it away are you able to get the tub and pump system dried out? I'm betting some infections are life-changing.

When cleaning the filter, are you using TSP? I almost never see threads devoted to best practice on filter cleaning, but in your case it seems to be an overly important consideration.

The above is just me thinking out loud, I'm definitely unqualified to be giving advice with regard to safety considerations on your unique situation.

Please stay safe!
Methuselah

I ran it to 20 since the CYA looked a little higher than 40 when I tested so figured I would round up, and higher CL would nuke everything in there even more. Minimal CL demand over night which is what has me thinking its good for now and I passed the SLAM test.

For cleaning the filters I did that again today by rinsing them off and then submerging them in a 1:10 solution of 10.5% pool bleach and water, I read that someplace on here in a guide. I forgot about it and left it in that water for 2 hours. The guide said 15 minutes so I overshot that quite a bit. I can't find the link so hopefully I did not dream this up.

I have not used TSP, I am reading about that now. Where does one buy this? Would this work? My local home depot sells some that is phosphate free: SAVOGRAN 1 lb. Box TSP Phosphate-Free Heavy Duty Cleaner 10611 - The Home Depot

Edit: Seems like Lowes has this one: https://www.lowes.com/pd/TSP-Deck-Cleaner/3014064

2nd one is the real deal. I too suffer from fuzzy not having seen those filter cleaning threads for a while. I do believe the TSP is recommended, but I'm using no phosphates dishwashing detergent.

There is also an acid wash spray I've seen recommended but I came away with the opinion it helps to prevent the filters from clogging, and so far I don't have that problem.

When cleaning I start with a bucket of hot water with that dishwashing soap well mixed and let it sit 45 minutes, moving it around once or twice. Then spray out inside and "power washer thingy" the outside with gizmos I got from Spa Depot. Probably overkill but I started with just a hand sprayer and didn't like the level of work required to get it half as clean as what I'm using now.

Like I said though, most of the folks that chime in here are a lot more qualified than I. If I recall correctly, I looked up filter cleaning on youTube...

Soaking filters in tub of warm water that has powered dishwasher detergent in it (like Cascade … no special scents or flavors) will work fine in most instances. TSP is an excellent choice as well (as long as it is REAL TSP and not the fake “environmentally friendly” kind) but not everyone has access to it (some states restrict its sale).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.