starting over

Jul 2, 2014
Hudson, wi
well, it turns out that my main drain has a broken pipe as I suspected so we did a full drain and plugged it off to try and get by for a couple years until the liner gets replaced. The current liner is around 8 years old and starting to fade so it is almost time, hoping to save up and do a full refurb in a couple years with new liner, main drain line and heater. For now we just got it filled back up and getting things started and here is the question. I have never had good luck with having my CYA over 30, why could this be? Maybe now that it is all new water and I get everything where it should be it may like it more or would I be better off keeping where I have been? I also need to order a new test kit to start out the year, almost june and we have a freeze warning for tonight, our season is so short I almost wish we didn't have the pool sometimes. Anyway, on to our new adventure of not having a main drain....

You can order refills for the test kit at tftestkits.net.
For the CYA, you can put granular CYA in a sock and hang it in front of the return. Since this is a new fill, you are starting out with zero CYA and need to add as much as you want. It is predictable on a new fill as long as you are confident of your water volume. If you put the CYA in there and it dissolves, then you should be confident of your levels.

I don't, I only have 1 skimmer:( About 600 lbs. of salt seems to be good, started the SWCG today, just in time, supposed to start getting warm this week......still working on getting the scum out of the pool from where the water sat for a couple weeks before I could get the main drain plugged.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.