Starting a new pool "Is there an issue here? There is no J-Box on pool lights”

You should probably reconsider step and bond beam relationship. -12" from 0" deck would be fine, but with +18" bond beam surround +/- 30" the step will not help. You really need to consider how you will get into this spa. 42" is not workable.

You should probably reconsider step and bond beam relationship. -12" from 0" deck would be fine, but with +18" bond beam surround +/- 30" the step will not help. You really need to consider how you will get into this spa. 42" is not workable.
I see the confusion I created. I need to change measurements of interior step and bench measurements to reference off pool bond beam. So step should be +6” benches should be -6” and bottom of spa should be -24”. I measured interior steps and benches from top of Spa bond beam.

Attempting to finalize plans for permit submission. Talked with city received a pdf with plan requirements. They do not seem to be concerned about exact design features just location of the pool ie setbacks etc.. The exact design elements would be needed for the trades to build the pool. What is the proper way to display those elements on a plan so that it can be understood by the different subs? Do you set a reference point on the plan. ie existing patio and base the pool bound beam elevation +or - that spot. There was confusion on SPA depths in a earlier post, Do I use that same elevation as a reference for the all benches, steps, baja shelf and spa features etc..

Attempting to finalize plans for permit submission. Talked with city received a pdf with plan requirements. They do not seem to be concerned about exact design features just location of the pool ie setbacks etc.. The exact design elements would be needed for the trades to build the pool. What is the proper way to display those elements on a plan so that it can be understood by the different subs? Do you set a reference point on the plan. ie existing patio and base the pool bound beam elevation +or - that spot. There was confusion on SPA depths in a earlier post, Do I use that same elevation as a reference for the all benches, steps, baja shelf and spa features etc..
Hey AZ Rider!

If you are interested in having a set of pool plans completed I would highly recommend Justin Rockwell. He uses the professional pool design software and the plans are perfect for submitting permits and giving to the trades for price quoting and building (includes CAD, plumbing schematics, side views, the measurements for excavations, all the pool details (gallons, perimeter length, surface area, and a whole ton more.)

His pricing is extremely reasonable and couldn’t imagine trying to figure it out another way. 😅 I used him on plans a couple years ago but also made contact with him within the last two months because I plan to have another set of pool plans drafted soon.

PM me for his contact info

He is local to Phoenix and does the plans for a lot of the pool builders who outsource that piece.

Can you provide a plot plan with property lines and any flat work that’s going to remain after the pool construction?
Your previous plan of the pool and spa are of quality that is acceptable for the trades to understand.
Specific details are needed and are common for most areas.

I modified the Plan adding details for SPA elevations and drew Pool profile. Final profile will be set prior to escavation, I want to maximize 5' but maintain a confortable slope from steps. I also have a plumbing question about Veturi Skimmers. Is the return line from pump to the skimmer considered a return for the pool?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Updated Plan: Nearing plan submission. I uploaded the plot plan for review. Can those fimilar with pool building critique the plan for errors, omissions or confusion. I also have a question about Venturi skimmers, do they remove the need for a return on that side of pool? Thanks

Last edited:
Getting ready to submit plans to city. Obtained a "Pool Packet" from the city, they do not specify plumbing plans only electical and structural and plot plans. They are asking for electrical load calcuations for house and Pool. I can find running loads listed on Pool equipment sites but no starting amps listed. I put numbers on the plan but they are just guesses. The city does not ask about plumbing details other than meeting entrapment safety regulations. I will have more detailed plumbing questions when I get to that stage. Any guidance would be helpful.

Not familiar with the requirements for your area for the plot plan, if you like I can advise what is standard that I’m familiar with for requIremeets.
I think I have complied with most of the requirements listed on the 2 pages. I talked with a plan examiner, she said I can put plot and electrical plan on same print. Load calculations are where I am unsure. Final bullet point on electrical plan guidelines they are asking for load calculations for house and pool. I am unable to find starting loads for pool equipment. Are those required in your area.

Attachments

• IMG_0827.png
    IMG_0827.png
    229.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0826.png
    IMG_0826.png
    260.4 KB · Views: 11
Thanks for the feedback so far. Starting to figure out plumbing for Pool and SPA. We have settled on 6 Jets for the SPA trying to determine if we need an extra jet pump or if a IntelliFlo3 VSP 3HP will be sufficient. Not sure if there is a standard or preferred spa jet brand but I looked at Waterways and their jets Poly and Mini storm are 10gal/min. Power Storms are 15gal/min So max would be 60-90gal/min looking at Pentair site it appears 1 pump would be fine. I see posts where they say it is better to have a separate pump not sure I need one if the pump, filter and heater will flow 90gal/min. Is there a need or recommendation to have a separate pump? Are Waterway jets a good choice or are there others better?

On typical pool/spa builds, 8 jets or more will require a second pump, If the first pump being a XF, it should be able to supply the required GPM for the six jets.
Thanks for confirming that. I can move forward on equipment bids now.
Plumbing I still need to finalize pipe size and number of home runs. I plan on only one skimmer since pool is not very large and no planned trees to drop leaves. Planned on 2.5" suction to pool drain and spa, 2" to skimmer and cleaner port all home runs. I have a question on the returns one of our PB bids said they would loop returns around the pool. Is it better to homerun all the returns to the pad? Sizing for returns is 1.5" large enough, all plumbing runs will be less than 100'? How much supply does a Venturi skimmer need? Can I share it with one of the returns? Any areas of concern with my plan for the plumbing?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support