Started opening, sand filter bottom housing cracked and leaking. Suspend slamming or

Robrike

Bronze Supporter
May 8, 2017
Elizabethton TN
Hey,
Closed the pool per instructions here for first time ever last year. Bought house in March of last year and knew Hayward S244t drain threads had seen better days but extra teflon tape cured a leak. Pulled cover off 2 days ago and way more leaves than expected had blown under cover and pool was slightly green in color and murky.

I used my pool test kit and got these numbers:

FC- 0.0

CC- 0.0

TC- 0.0

PH- 6.8

TA- 20

CH- 75

CYA- 0 TO 10. Never got black dot to disappear

SALT- 1600

WATER TEMP- 57

I added a few jugs of chlorine 10% to calm things while I had pump running on recirculate to spread chlorine a little and give me time to clean leaves and brush a couple times. Yesterday things looked better and I thought another brushing and a vacuum and I could start slam process. When I put filter into filter mode I discovered I had 2 nice cracks in lower plastic housing. I have a home warranty that covers pool equipment and have a call in and I hope by next week to have a new lower housing or new filter altogether.

In the mean time with all the dirt and fine grit from leaves how should I proceed? Get CYA and Salt up and keep chlorine at 4 to 5 to keep things at bay till new filter comes or move forward with slam with organic material still in pool? I'm so close to that 60 degree line where algae can start thriving.

The little bit of bleach I added and the removal of 3 or 4 five gallon buckets of leaves has helped from what i had 3 days ago. I assume the cracks in filter are from age as i drained it out last fall and left the cap out all winter.

I would appreciate any suggestions. I was not needed a busted filter to grind my opening party to a halt. :)

Sincerely,

Robert
6795e1468965e9c2890f1aba11febe72.jpg
3d24e639b42dce886664eae8d595c354.jpg
27464d3dd2320a8296e37068df92f06d.jpg
a021397c6bc584761627aa596e81c238.jpg

Hi Robert! :wave: Sorry about that filter. Never a dull moment. But you made such a change in a couple days, it would be a shame to see it go backwards, so if you can add a little bleach each day and move it around that would probably be a good thing. Might be hard to do much else, but I suppose with enough manual brushing and sweeping you can do a little more by trying to add some stabilizer (sock method to dissolve it first) to keep the FC from getting taken from the sun. Hope you get that filter going again soon. Good luck.

Hi Robert! :wave: Sorry about that filter. Never a dull moment. But you made such a change in a couple days, it would be a shame to see it go backwards, so if you can add a little bleach each day and move it around that would probably be a good thing. Might be hard to do much else, but I suppose with enough manual brushing and sweeping you can do a little more by trying to add some stabilizer (sock method to dissolve it first) to keep the FC from getting taken from the sun. Hope you get that filter going again soon. Good luck.
Hey.
Thanks for the reply. A little update to this, I checked chlorine about 6pm and had 1.0 FC and 0.0 CC so I went ahead and added a gallon of 10% chlorine and put 6lbs of stabilizer in 2 socks and got them in the water and added 80lbs of salt.

My filter won't be in till Thursday so all I can do is keep the algae away and maybe get some of the bottom gunk up using a skimmer sock on the skimmer and vacuum in thru it. I'll have to stop and empty it often but hope the sock will keep from pumping finer particles back in. That and a pump to waste for a few minutes as my water level is higher than it needs to be.

From what I gathered from talking with the repair group lady they will send out an entirely new Hayward S244t to replace mine, not just a new shell case. Perhaps they will leave the old one for me to salvage good laterals from for down the road.

Thanks,

Robert

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.