Start up after a cold winter - confirm levels / approach please? Water still 55-60deg

HeidiP

Jun 10, 2017
Ottawa/ON, Canada
Last year was our first year - pool VERY close to house, etc, small property - so I used a net to cover, vs a solid cover. I didn't want weight, and things collapsing.
Success. Even most of the leaves stayed out, and i used the leaf gulper to get the remainder out.

The pool was a bit green but not insane at all. One bag of shock did the trick to clear it but left a crazy smell.

Forgot to measure before the shock - so my levels are a bit unreliable after shock-
May 4 -
pH 7.2-4 unclear
FC 7.5
CC 1 (still working on the algae, right?)
(This means TC is 8.5)
CYA - 30-40 (this is the black dot disappearing/i always find this one tricky)
Total Alkalinity- 100

SO i'm in OK zones except my chlorine

36 hours later, no free chlorine

May 7
Pool supply store says -
Salt at 2400 (added a bag)
TA 78 (they note low, but my ideal is 80-120 - waiting to raise other levels before adding anything)
pH 7.2 (they note low, my SWG says 7.2-7.6 - added some lo n slo because I had it - 9:30AM)
CYA 25 (they just call this stabilizer - WT? added chemical because i had it...) i poured it in water bucket and poured it in the skimmer- per pool store directions - did i just corrode my equipment? product is lo n slo... just remembered this is likely where the sock came in.
FC 0 - i don't have anything so I will go the bleach method-

QUESTION - do i wait to add FC until my pH and CYA adjust? or grab bleach now?
Can't run my SWG until my pool is balanced...

I have also got some fast acting oxidizer (from pool supplies canada) from my pool closing last year) - unclear if this is to just lower CC without sanitizing - is that what it is? Says it doesn't affect pH so - that sounds good - but why?

thanks for any input!

First, I would not follow the pool store’s instructions. You may be adding stuff that you just don’t need. Rely on your own test numbers, use Pool Math to help figure out what you do need, and get the Pool School ebook - free on Google Play! It will really help you understand exactly what your pool needs.

I don’t know what lo and slow is, but with ph at 7.2 and TA at 80, I’m not sure you need to mess with those numbers at all right now. So now use Pool Math to get some chlorine in there, then run your tests again and let’s see where you are.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.