Stalled SLAM!

2Bluelines

Apr 12, 2023
Corpus Christi, TX
I have been in the slam process, today being day 9. Pool was dark green and has gotten lighter green. I can now see the 3 foot bottom in the shallow end and has been that way for 3 or 4 days and does not seem to be improving. CYA 50, slamming at 20, with 10% liquid chlorine 3 to 4 times a day, CC holding at .5 or less, brushing and vacuuming, Polaris running a couple of hours a day, pump running 24/7. Added a cup of DE to filter yesterday. Not sure what to do next. Recycle can is filling up with chlorine jugs.
Pool Water 4.29.23.JPG

I see you’re logging your additions but not your test results which makes it hard to see your fc demand without alot of calculation.
Upon your next test try this
Lets also be certain of your cya so you know you’re using the correct fc level.
If the dot “disappears” between 2 lines round up. So anywhere between 50 & 60 counts as 60.
Doing the test in bright light is best, outdoors on a sunny day is preferable.

Usually adding de will increase pressure fairly quickly in a cloudy pool.
You want to backwash when pressure rises 25% over the clean pressure you had after the de was added.
It goes like this—>
Backwash, rinse, record clean pressure, add de (mixed with water) a cup or less at a time until pressure rises by 1psi, backwash when pressure rises 25% over that psi. This removes the de., rinse.
Repeat the process again if needed.
If the pressure isn’t rising you may have a faulty gauge or have gunky/channeled sand & need to do a deep clean.

Thank you for your help with the logs. I did recheck my cya outside in the sun and it did give me a different reading. Increased it to 60. Also was not sure about adding the DE after backwashing, which I did this afternoon. I will retest later this evening. Hopefully these adjustments will clear it soon, the grandkids are bugging me daily, "when can we go swimming?" Again, thanks for your guidance!

Thank you for your help with the logs. I did recheck my cya outside in the sun and it did give me a different reading. Increased it to 60. Also was not sure about adding the DE after backwashing, which I did this afternoon. I will retest later this evening. Hopefully these adjustments will clear it soon, the grandkids are bugging me daily, "when can we go swimming?" Again, thanks for your guidance!
Great 👍🏻
It is safe for swimmers so long as the fc is between minimum & slam level for your cya & you can see the bottom of the deep end for swimmer safety.

Also keep in mind that sand filters are the slowest to clear up the water. It sounds like you are doing everything correctly, just need to have patience and keep the FC up and backwash your filter when the pressure tells you.

Reactions: Mdragger88
full

Thank you all for the help! Finally, crystal clear and only adding a cup or 2 of chlorine as needed. Kids are thrilled to be able to swim.
If you have met all 3 end of slam criteria then you can allow fc to fall to target 🎯 levels.
Be sure to maintain fc ABOVE minimum for your cya at all times so you don’t flirt with algae & have to do the slam process again.
Aiming for high target 🎯 is recommended so you always have a good buffer between you & minimum.
FC/CYA Levels
2 cups (16oz) of 10% only raises fc by .5 ppm in your pool volume -
the average fc loss for algae free residential outdoor pools is 2-5ppm per day, often towards the higher end in sunny texas mid season.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.