hudsondds

Gold Supporter
Feb 15, 2020
Louisiana
I noticed some stains on the bottom of my plaster pool. It looks like some kind of seeds maybe sat there and stained the plaster. My nylon brush won't rub it off. I went to leslies and was going to get a metal brush, but they said not to do that on relatively new plaster (could gouge it). I have some pumice stone I was able to kind of get if off with, but it will take me forever and I doubt I will be able to get it all off. I don't always update my pool math, but all levels have been in range.
I had leslies test my water while I was there and my phosphates were high (410ppb) and Cu was also high (.3ppm) They suggested cleaning filter, which I did (was due for a clean), and a bottle of either metal free or leslies stain and scale remover and some leslies NoPhos.
Any ideas how to get these stains off? Should I get some kind of copper or phosphate remover?
Thanks,
ChrisIMG_5199.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5200.jpg
    IMG_5200.jpg
    487.6 KB · Views: 6
It's possible those could be tannin related due to seeds or something this time of year. While we almost never recommend pool store testing due to inaccuracy, the elevated Cu level (if accurate) is alarming as those can be some of the most difficult stains to remove. Typically copper is introduced by copper-based pool store products. Iron on the other hand is common from a well if you get well water. Just to be sure, try rubbing a Vitamin C tablet on one of the stains. You might get lucky. How old is this plaster?

Since Vitamin C didn't work and your plaster is 2 years old, we can try a couple other things. If you have a chlorine tablet, rub it on a stained area. Don't just leave it one place, but rub a bit while moving. If that works it's organic (tannin). If the stain gets darker from the tablet, it's probably copper. You can test that with some pH down powder in a thin sock or nylon.

Thanks for the tips. I'll try and get a tab from someone. I have some powder calhypo I might could get down there somehow, (thin sock like acid as you said?). Does it madder how long the stain is there? Would prefer to wait till water heated up a bit more.

I found the culprit, but unfortunately now there are a few more stains. It was a rusty screw at the bottom causing little circle stains and then floating somewhere else and doing it again. I tried a vitamin c tablet but it doesn’t seem to be working. Any ideas?
Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.