Stain help!

phinfan

May 5, 2021
NY
Hello everyone, new member here. I opened up my pool this past weekend and had some debris (mainly earthworms) and a few leaves that got in under the loop lock cover over the winter. The rest of the pool was crystal clear. I vacuumed up all the debris and noticed some staining on my liner. (see picture). I assume that the staining is organic as debris was there. This pool didnt have any metal in it unless it was in the water itself. Test shows no metals. The water isnt from a well. Thus far all I have done is add salt since it was low and added 3 gallons of shock to try and get the stain out. Any help would be great. This is the first time dealing with any issues with the new pool (installed in 2017).

Attachments

• Pool stain.jpg
    Pool stain.jpg
    450.5 KB · Views: 20
Welcome! :wave: If it is organic, which seems very likely, then maintaining a slightly elevated FC level for a few days with daily brushing should help to remove the stain. Be sure to compare your current CYA level to the optimum FC level you should be maintaining, then increase the FC a few ppm over that to help attack that stain. See our FC/CYA Levels. If after a week or so the staining doesn't go away, come back and let us know so we can look at other options.

I have been running slightly higher FC for a couple of weeks now and the stain hasnt come off. I did swim done with my go pro to get a closer look at the stain. There are little white marks around the area. This is the only area of the pool that has them. I have attached a couple of pictures from each main drain.

Attachments

• Stain 1.jpg
    Stain 1.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Stain 2.jpg
    Stain 2.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 20
Yes the stain is light brownish and those white dots are on top of it. From what I can view on the video those white spots are only in that area with the stain. The stain is between the two main drains.

I have a gut feeling those are still organic stained areas. The white spots would almost seem indicative of chlorine granules that might have rested on the stains. By any chance have you spread any bags of shock or any other pool product that may have rested on those areas?

If not, I would try the following:
- Rub a chlorine tab/puck on the stained area. Don't let it just sit, but move it around a bit (organic); maybe the elevated FC wasn't strong enough
- Rub a Vitamin C tablet just to rule out iron

If any of those makes the stain worse, let us know.

I put the pool in 2017 and never added powdered shock or chlorine granules since its salt water. When shocking I would use the liquid though I havent need to shock often. Only chemicals I ever put in are Salt, PH decreaser. Every once in awhile I have to add conditioner to the skimmer, Calcium (pre mixed in bucket) and Alkanity.

I will get a tablet of chlorine from my inlaws since they have chlorine pool. Do I just sit it directly on liner or put in a sock? Should I have it on there for a second or two? Certainly dont want to damage the liner. Same questions for the Vitamin C.

Directly on the liner is fine, just slowly move it around. PH decreaser is dry acid and if it sank to the floor could be a cause for staining, but only the white ones. We'll come back to all of that once you get a chance to test with a puck and Vitamin C.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey Texas Splash, how long should I leave the chlorine table in one spot? I was paranoid and just moving it across the stain fast. Should I leave it sit for 30 seconds or so? Same comment would be for the Vitamin C. I tried the Chlorine yesterday but it was hard to see since it was so sunny out. Need a overcast day to see if it helped.

Hey Texas Splash, how long should I leave the chlorine table in one spot?
I would just move it continuously and slowly within a couple inches so it's not still in one spot. Not as critical with the Vitamin C, but you can scrub & move that around the stain if you wish.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.