Stabilizer....

It takes about 20 lbs of stabilizer to go from zero to 70. Are you saying that since the beginning of the swim season (if CYA was 70), you've had to add another 14 lbs? If so, that does seem like a lot. 14 lbs is about 48 ppm of CYA. It's fair to assume you lose about 5 ppm per month naturally, it would take about 10 months to equal that 14 lbs. Of course if you changed any water, that would drop the CYA as well. Do you have an autofill? Any chance of water loss? If your CH and salt are stable, then I doubt you are losing water.

I start each season needing about 15 lbs and usually have to add a few pounds mid season. (With the same pool give or take). I get more rain than you but you get much more sunshine so its probably a wash. This year cooled off for us in the northeast but has been brutally hot for alot of other places. There were several threads with people bumping their SWG CYA to 80+ to keep up with the sun in the warm climates. So to answer the question, no it doesn't surprise me. But I'm no expert, I just play one on TV.

I ask about salt and calcium tests because those are permanent chemical compounds. If you had a leak, and high CH with lower CH fill water, then the CH value will drift down over time as will salt. Now it does depend a bit on evaporation and fill rates, but typically a larger leak will be greater than the rate of evaporation and so pool water CH and salt will drift down. Of course, one can always do a bucket test too.

Reactions: Philo
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.