Sta-Rite 400 Service Heater Light

Check the igniter to see if it’s ok. Measure the resistance.

Function: The Hot Surface Ignition (HSI) is heated electrically to ignite the Burner. The HSI requires 120 VAC power which is supplied by the Ignition Control Module. The HSI requires about 20 seconds to reach operating temperature.

Servicing Procedure:

1. Turn off the pump and all electrical power to the heater.

2. Disconnect the Igniter wires at the Molex connector.

3. Loosen the nuts holding the Igniter Bracket.

4. Carefully remove the HSI from the unit.

5. Check resistance across HSI to test. Resistance should be 40-75 Q at room temperature. Cracks in HSI which affect performance will alter resistance level but may be too small to see.

Check the igniter to see if it’s ok. Measure the resistance.

Function: The Hot Surface Ignition (HSI) is heated electrically to ignite the Burner. The HSI requires 120 VAC power which is supplied by the Ignition Control Module. The HSI requires about 20 seconds to reach operating temperature.

Servicing Procedure:

1. Turn off the pump and all electrical power to the heater.

2. Disconnect the Igniter wires at the Molex connector.

3. Loosen the nuts holding the Igniter Bracket.

4. Carefully remove the HSI from the unit.

5. Check resistance across HSI to test. Resistance should be 40-75 Q at room temperature. Cracks in HSI which affect performance will alter resistance level but may be too small to see.

It was the ignitier. Getting it ignited was tough. I turned all the heat setting down to lowest setting. Put jacket covers on. Then turned off al electrical for 5 mins. Turned the electrial on and worked. The heater does make a pretty big thumping noise when it turns on. Is this normal?

Also, I want to thank you so much for your help! Without your assistance I would not have been able to figure this out!

Hey, having this issue again. I have tried turning the gas off, turning electrical off for 5 mins, turning aqua link to lowest heat setting 0 for pool and spa. Then resetting everything. The heater will not ignite. I am receiving the service heater error and 3 flashing red lights on the fc fenwall. The igniter was replaced about a year ago. What else do you suggest?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.