Sports Pool Slope / Dimensions

wmrwmr

Dec 15, 2022
Long Island NY
I'm new to the forum. Thanks in advance for feedback.
I'm building a new pool 20' x 40' (Cross Section and CAD image attached) and would appreciate the experience of the forum with a few questions.
  • Is slope of 1:7 ok for the sports end of the pool (left side)?
  • Is 11' on either side of center enough length for the sports side of pool (volleyball / basketball)?
  • Is 1:22 slope reasonable for the shallow end (right side)?
If needed, I could go a little bit longer (couple of feet) if it would made an substantial improvement.

Thanks
Bill

Pool Cross Section.jpgPool 2 FH.jpg

Is 11' on either side of center enough length for the sports side of pool (volleyball / basketball)?
I would try to get to 4 ft as soon as feasible. You will find 4ft is more comfortable in a shallow end. Kids will grow so don't make it too shallow. 3.5ft is minimum. Mine transitions from 3.5ft at the steps to 4ft in a matter of several linear feet.

20’ X 40’ with the sport area in the center of the pool. Close to the same slopes, on one end the sport area it stays deep for a longer distance for taller players. Reef step is the entire length of pool at 8” of water.

Attachments

• 16E93C5B-40E6-4850-981D-53D9B2932E75.jpeg
    16E93C5B-40E6-4850-981D-53D9B2932E75.jpeg
    357 KB · Views: 51
  • 83A446E0-7FAA-49E5-8EB3-2CD751FE4C05.jpeg
    83A446E0-7FAA-49E5-8EB3-2CD751FE4C05.jpeg
    457.8 KB · Views: 51
11' from the left side. Centered on the 1' deepest section.
So everyone within five feet of the net on either side would be in water that is 5' to 5'6" deep. That seems too deep for volleyball to me. I have a volleyball net but it is contained within the shallow end area that is between 3'9" to just over 4' deep. We normally have two rows of people on each side of the net, with one row being within a foot or two of the net. It might be better to go only 5' deep in the deepest part??? But maybe I'm just not picturing how it would work because your pool is a different depth profile than mine!

Thanks PCR. I think you are picturing it correctly. I see your point. I chose 5 1/2' bc in other areas of this forum people have recommended 5-6' for the center. Also trying to make it reasonably safe to jump into deep area. Food for thought.

Thanks PCR. I think you are picturing it correctly. I see your point. I chose 5 1/2' bc in other areas of this forum people have recommended 5-6' for the center. Also trying to make it reasonably safe to jump into deep area. Food for thought.
Hi @wmrwmr- We are considering a sport pool with a 4-5.5-4 profile. Did you make a decision and have a build yet? Just curious how it turned out.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.