Sport Pool - Anyone Regret?

Melt In The Sun said:
I would plan based on what you want, not anticipating what children may or may not enjoy years later. I'm a grownup (I guess) and I wish my pool had a deep end.

That was part of my point, I personally like the deep end, but thought the kids might want a sport type pool. I agree with other comments that it would get old and not be as desirable.

I guess it is good to have options.

Readyforapool said:
I had them include two benches near the deep end so I could hang out with them!

This is a good idea, I have one deep end bench but two would have been better. I also would have had two deep benches next to the ones you could sit on so you could stand on the lower and the water would be chest deep, or sit on the upper.

Bobby - thanks, I knew I wanted benches in the deep end because we always hung out at a friends pool and there was no bench any where near the deep end where everyone was. I always felt left out since I'm not much of a swimmer, more of a sitter, actually! I knew that it was a must have if I ever got a pool! Since ours is only 6.5 ft at the deepest and we are all fairly tall it should be perfect!

bobby1017 said:
...I also would have had two deep benches next to the ones you could sit on so you could stand on the lower and the water would be chest deep, or sit on the upper.

My lower benches in the deep end are not chest deep but upper thigh depth for reference. Works well for playing catch so your arms can move well. They could have been 6" deeper but they still work well.

[attachment=0:28j3g0ro]IMG_7440 - TFP.jpg[/attachment:28j3g0ro]

Attachments

• IMG_7440 - TFP.jpg
    IMG_7440 - TFP.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 282
bmoreswim said:
bobby1017 said:
...I also would have had two deep benches next to the ones you could sit on so you could stand on the lower and the water would be chest deep, or sit on the upper.

My lower benches in the deep end are not chest deep but upper thigh depth for reference. Works well for playing catch so your arms can move well. They could have been 6" deeper but they still work well.

[attachment=0:po5zyf13]IMG_7440 - TFP.jpg[/attachment:po5zyf13]

Nice! I like it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for all of the great comments....I am leaning toward an L shaped pool with a square spa in the middle of the L so that we can enjoy the best of both worlds. Diving on one end...and basketball/volleyball in the other end. 18x36 (deep L) and 18x32 (shallow L)I'll post a photo of the design when it is complete. I love this site and really appreciate how everyone takes a sincere interest in helping others make good decisions in this big investment. Thanks everyone!

We have a traditional pool 12m X 4m 1m shallow and 2m at the deep. we had some friend ove whoes children were non swimmers but after their 2 week stay they were jumpnig in at the deep end and loved it. But we had to be the perminent lifeguard. No swimming after 6, beer time. well for me anyway. :party:

I went with a psuedo sports pool. My shallow end is 3.5' or so deep and the traditional deep end is 5'. I did this based on my pool builders suggestion that people who are new may will dive in from the shallow end, towards the deep end (as is customary) but the deep end is only 3.5' deep. THis still allows us to use 100% of the pool and still dive, cannon ball etc.

I didn't go with a deep end because aside from diving, no one uses it. Everyone hangs in the shallow end.

Do you still like your pool? We are planning the same - 4’ in the shallow to 5’ in the deep.

I was almost for sure we would go with a sport type pool, going 4' to 5' to 4'... but now I think I'm changing my mind. I can see where having a deep end would be nice. The addition of a large bench and/or deeper standing ledges in the deep end would make it more functional...while still keeping the deeper end for variety. Maybe 3.5 to 6.5 would be better. Cause I just doubt we would play enough volleyball to justify the sport pool.

I have a psuedo sport pool. 3.5-6.5-4 over 36 feet long so the drop off is a little steep but is still standable for a bit. I have found that most people hang out in the 3.5 foot section becasue it is close to the steps. I have a two benches that most of the length of the pool and then one across from the spillway. on the otherside so that you can easily hang out and get out if you want. I find the depth a little hard for my 8 year old as she can only stand in a small part of the pool. She will grow and it will become easier, my pool is more of a floating and treading water. With the "deep end" in the middle the kids can still jump and splash from the spillway. Compared to neighbors pools where they have a sun shelf that limits the overall usuable area of the pool our design lends itself to playing across the pool with a football or volleyball and still hang out near each other talking.

Reactions: Snikwah
I have a psuedo sport pool. 3.5-6.5-4 over 36 feet long so the drop off is a little steep but is still standable for a bit. I have found that most people hang out in the 3.5 foot section becasue it is close to the steps. I have a two benches that most of the length of the pool and then one across from the spillway. on the otherside so that you can easily hang out and get out if you want. I find the depth a little hard for my 8 year old as she can only stand in a small part of the pool. She will grow and it will become easier, my pool is more of a floating and treading water. With the "deep end" in the middle the kids can still jump and splash from the spillway. Compared to neighbors pools where they have a sun shelf that limits the overall usuable area of the pool our design lends itself to playing across the pool with a football or volleyball and still hang out near each other talking.

Would you build it the same depth if you had to do it over?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.