Splicing pool light wire - Not underground

EBD

Mar 26, 2017
Gilbert
I am aware that the run should be one piece all the way to the panel or junction box, but should I be able to splice the pool light wire that comes out of the conduit (above ground). It is a little short. Also it doesn't mention a gauge. Is it 12 gauge?

The newer led nicheless dont have a traditional JB, they are ordered with up to 150 feet of cable to get to the pad. They just finished my install and the electrical installer had to measure the conduit run so the PB could order the correct light.

If it's line(120) voltage it should go to a j box usually called a deck box. If it's low voltage, it does not require a deck box, just a conduit either back to the panel/transformer or at least 5' away from the pool. That's why they come with the precut lengths 100', etc

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Ok there is a bunch of stuff in this thread that is misleading and really does not address the OPs question.

First you may not splice a cord from a pool light fixture. It must terminate in either a listed junction box or a listed enclosure that meets the requirements of NEC 680.24 . See NEC 680.23(B)(2)

You don't have to have to terminate the light cord in a listed junction box but the terminating enclosure must meet specific requirements.

It doesn't matter if it's 120 or low voltage. Wet niche lights and nicheless lights require either a junction box or conforming listed enclosure for cord termination. NEC 680.23(B)(2). If it comes from the pool shell it must be in conduit leading to a junction box or equivalent. NEC 680. 24(A) covers junction boxes and (B) covers other enclosures ( a sub panel). The rest of 680.24 has additional requirements for junction boxes and enclosures acting as junction boxes.

Low voltage requires a j box or a listed enclosure meeting the requirements of NEC 680.24

And not to blunt about it but that link is just flat wrong. I confuses bonding and grounding. And the description of installing a light in a liner pool is just bizarre. I could rant on.

End of rant

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.