Spa spillover landing on coping

srgray

May 19, 2022
Bulverde, TX
My newly constructed pool/spa was just filled and turned on. I immediately noticed that the spa spillover lands on the flagstone coping below, instead of extending out and landing directly in the pool water. Is this something to be concerned about? Should I have the builder redo and extend the spillover (the spillover is a couple of pieces of flagstone that overhang the spa wall). I'm worried about the aesthetic as well as the lifespan of the flagstone/mortar being constantly pummeled by the water. See linked video:

Depends how it was plumbed, if they didn't use any 2" hot water return lines it may be hard to push that volume of water over that spillway. If they did plumb the piping size correctly you can force more water to the spa and turn the speed of the pump up so that it can make it over that ledge

OK, if I turn pump to 100% and put valves in 'Fountain mode', all of the return water is pushed to the pool bubblers and the spa. In that configuration the spillover is stronger and makes it all the way into the pool water. But I think the video represents the configuration it will be in most of the time, right? So, maybe I should have them adjust the spill over to that configuration?

OK, if I turn pump to 100% and put valves in 'Fountain mode', all of the return water is pushed to the pool bubblers and the spa. In that configuration the spillover is stronger and makes it all the way into the pool water. But I think the video represents the configuration it will be in most of the time, right? So, maybe I should have them adjust the spill over to that configuration?
Typically you can only push so much water out of the jets because of the orifice size, that's why when you have a spa it would be advised to have a "hot water return" so that you can move more volume of water to go over the spillway and also not have to have the jets on, if that's not what you have then you will be forced to turn up to the highest speed and force water through the jets to achieve the spillover

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.