Spa jets with blower push water up and over sides

Sep 23, 2012
Hello all!
I read a lot of posts (and appreciate all the info) and I have searched for this question (found one thread many years ago which seemed to never resolve the issue) so I am asking newly.

I have a new construction in ground gunite pool with attached 7' x 7' 6 jet spa with overflow into the pool.
Pool/Spa main pump – Jandy Variable speed 3hp
Extra spa pump 1 ½ hp
And a blower (currently 1 hp but we have tried 1.5 and 2 as well)

What happens is when I turn on the blower, water is pushed up the spa wall and over the edge in a bit of a geiger. We re-did the jet assembly on all Waterway jets and as I mentioned tried three different blowers and two different styles of jets (small opening, multiple openings).

With the 1.5 hp at max at one point, we got 3 or 4 of the jets to keep the air below the water surface and create a pleasant bubbles effect. That was several changes ago pursuing the uniform foamy bubbling effect to no avail.

The spa works fine without the blower and one could say I don't even need it but I like it (as far as when I can get a few jets to produce what I am assuming is the intended effect) and I paid for it so I would like to figure it out.

Hello all!
I read a lot of posts (and appreciate all the info) and I have searched for this question (found one thread many years ago which seemed to never resolve the issue) so I am asking newly.

I have a new construction in ground gunite pool with attached 7' x 7' 6 jet spa with overflow into the pool.
Pool/Spa main pump – Jandy Variable speed 3hp
Extra spa pump 1 ½ hp
And a blower (currently 1 hp but we have tried 1.5 and 2 as well)

What happens is when I turn on the blower, water is pushed up the spa wall and over the edge in a bit of a geiger. We re-did the jet assembly on all Waterway jets and as I mentioned tried three different blowers and two different styles of jets (small opening, multiple openings).

With the 1.5 hp at max at one point, we got 3 or 4 of the jets to keep the air below the water surface and create a pleasant bubbles effect. That was several changes ago pursuing the uniform foamy bubbling effect to no avail.

The spa works fine without the blower and one could say I don't even need it but I like it (as far as when I can get a few jets to produce what I am assuming is the intended effect) and I paid for it so I would like to figure it out.

Classic blower too large issue.

What happens is the blower is sending too much air to the jet, instead of 'jetting' the air overwhelms the jet and comes out in great clumps thinking of it as kind of burping. The air rises up next to wall and water overflows.

Slowing the air down is the only solution. Easy fix is to put in a three way valve on the blower discharge and open and close to vent air off from the blower to atmosphere until you find the best position for the spa. It is possible in addition to the gross adjustment with the valve a finer adjustment is required this can be done by drilling small holes in the pipe until enough air is vented to achieve the result required.

Thanks, Spa Owner.
We are researching that fix and I super appreciate your response.

Before we start cutting or drilling into our piping ...

I'm puzzled as to why at one point, with the 1.5 hp blower, at max (faster air), we had some actual success.
We feel like the air is coming out of the back/side of the jet collar and thought we were losing air there. Perhaps back pressure.
That is why we tried larger/more holes in our jets.
We were going to teflon tape all connections.

But you think slower air is needed? Interesting.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.