San Diego
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
We moved into our house 4 years ago we had the pool/spa circulation pump replaced with a variable speed pump, but left the old pump that is dedicated to just the spa jets. I did fire it up at that point and it leaked a little in the middle (probably a seal/gasket/etc), but since then we haven't turned it back on in 4 years. I was thinking about trying it again, but in preparation had a few questions.

1) If the pump turns on and runs fine, but leaks, is it worth trying to replace the seals/gaskets/etc, or just buy a new pump since its pretty old?
2) if buying a new pump, what kind of pump do you buy?
a) Are pumps used for jets the same that would be used for regular pool circulation or are there specific pumps for spa jets? Do I just look for say a replacement single speed 2hp pool pump with basket?
b) is it worth buying a variable speed pump so the jets can be dialed in (if they are too hard/soft)? are there cost savings (energy) with not running jets full blast if they are left on for a few hours at a time every once and a while.
3)the spa is also elevated above the level of the pump and it looks like the current spa jet pump has no check valve or on/off ball valve, so I imagine the spa may need to be drained or partially drained (into the pool) before working on the pump. Would it would be worth putting in either a check valve or a ball valve on the input and/or output side of the pump so in the future the pump can be worked on without draining the spa?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20220809_113753.jpg
    20220809_113753.jpg
    643.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220809_113757.jpg
    20220809_113757.jpg
    544.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220811_102728.jpg
    20220811_102728.jpg
    581.8 KB · Views: 5
1) See #2. Might be worth fixing.

2) If you go with a new pump, you probably won't have much of a choice since DOE regulations prevent the manufacturing of higher HP single speed pumps. Almost impossible to find right now so VS is basically the only choice.

3) A check valve on the inlet to the pump won't do anything as water still needs to pass to the pump. You would need a 2-way valve on both the inlet and outlet of the pump. How do you clean the pump basket right now?

1) See #2. Might be worth fixing.

2) If you go with a new pump, you probably won't have much of a choice since DOE regulations prevent the manufacturing of higher HP single speed pumps. Almost impossible to find right now so VS is basically the only choice.

3) A check valve on the inlet to the pump won't do anything as water still needs to pass to the pump. You would need a 2-way valve on both the inlet and outlet of the pump. How do you clean the pump basket right now?
re: #2 Interesting. thanks for the insight.

re: #3, we never clean the jet pump basket because it is never used. I'm sure its filled with algae(?), but I can't see inside the sun damaged lid. And what is the difference between a 2-way diverter valve and ball valve? They accomplish same thing, right? what is preferred, the slightly more expensive 2-way diverter valve?

Oh, and any idea of what the significance is of this pipe (attached)?

Its about 1.25" (eye balled) diameter pvc and about 6 inches into the wall it reduces to 0.75" or 0.5" pvc. I don't ever notice water/air flowing in or out of it. Maybe is does something when the jets are turned on?

Attachments

• 2022-08-11_112355.png
    2022-08-11_112355.png
    729.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 2022-08-11_113138.png
    2022-08-11_113138.png
    760.7 KB · Views: 11
And what is the difference between a 2-way diverter valve and ball valve? They accomplish same thing, right? what is preferred, the slightly more expensive 2-way diverter valve?
I would not use ball valves as they fail far more often than a decent (Jandy) 2-way valve. Plus 2-ways can be repaired.

Oh, and any idea of what the significance is of this pipe (attached)?
It was probably for a pressure side cleaner. Is there an abandoned pipe near the pad?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.