Spa Filter Cleaning

Hi all, new Bullfrog X6L owner here and am looking for input regarding cleaning the filters in our hot tub. It has two wellspring "pleated paper" filters. I plan on purchasing 2 new wellspring filters to have on hand for rotation, but would like to know your methods and schedules for cleaning yours.

Best,
Rolo

Hi all, new Bullfrog X6L owner here and am looking for input regarding cleaning the filters in our hot tub. It has two wellspring "pleated paper" filters. I plan on purchasing 2 new wellspring filters to have on hand for rotation, but would like to know your methods and schedules for cleaning yours.

Congrats on the new tub. I have a A5L and love it. Like you are planning, we have an extra set of filters, allowing one set to be deep-cleaned and dried while a fresh set is in the tub.

About once a week, we take the filters out. Since we have pine needles, it's helpful to use one hand to hold the filter grate / weir door panel in place more-or-less while removing each filter. Otherwise, a mass of pine needles swim out into the tub. We rinse the filters off with a nozzle on the garden hose, working the spray both inside and outside to dislodge things like pine needles, etc. While the filters are out, I take time to use a damp microfiber cloth to wipe up along the water line. With the hose now full of fresh water, I reverse it to use as a siphon a vacuum up any debris floating around the tub and filter compartment. After that, re-install the filters and top up the tub to the line on the weir grate.

So far, for deep cleaning, we have been using the LeisureTime Filter Cleaner solution provided by our dealer in a 5 gallon bucket with lid. The two filters stack perfectly in the lid. We deep clean the filters about every other month with an overnight soak. Rinsing them out thoroughly is very important, as the filter cleaner residue can introduce suds into the tub. We then let the filters dry thoroughly.

Congrats on the new tub. I have a A5L and love it. Like you are planning, we have an extra set of filters, allowing one set to be deep-cleaned and dried while a fresh set is in the tub.

About once a week, we take the filters out. Since we have pine needles, it's helpful to use one hand to hold the filter grate / weir door panel in place more-or-less while removing each filter. Otherwise, a mass of pine needles swim out into the tub. We rinse the filters off with a nozzle on the garden hose, working the spray both inside and outside to dislodge things like pine needles, etc. While the filters are out, I take time to use a damp microfiber cloth to wipe up along the water line. With the hose now full of fresh water, I reverse it to use as a siphon a vacuum up any debris floating around the tub and filter compartment. After that, re-install the filters and top up the tub to the line on the weir grate.

So far, for deep cleaning, we have been using the LeisureTime Filter Cleaner solution provided by our dealer in a 5 gallon bucket with lid. The two filters stack perfectly in the lid. We deep clean the filters about every other month with an overnight soak. Rinsing them out thoroughly is very important, as the filter cleaner residue can introduce suds into the tub. We then let the filters dry thoroughly.

Bravo....many thanks for the detailed response. I'll likely adopt your method(s).
I notice in your sig line that you use the Frog Ease system. What is your opinion of it vs. the liquid chlorine method often used by many on this forum in their pools and spas...me included?
Have been strongly considering the ease of the something like Frog Ease for a more "set it and forget it" system.

Bravo....many thanks for the detailed response. I'll likely adopt your method(s).
I notice in your sig line that you use the Frog Ease system. What is your opinion of it vs. the liquid chlorine method often used by many on this forum in their pools and spas...me included?
Have been strongly considering the ease of the something like Frog Ease for a more "set it and forget it" system.

Sorry for the late reply. We're on our third Frog @ease SmartChlor cartridge. So far, I'd say the system works well, but is not without its own pros and cons.

Pros:
+ Reduces testing and maintenance workload
+ No worries when leaving on vacation (mostly)
+ Consistent 0.5 - 1 PPM FC level (remember there is no CYA)
+ Included test strips seem reasonably accurate for quick checks
+ Compatible with ozone systems

Cons:
- More expensive than daily dosing dichlor/bleach method
- Impossible to test for CCs vs "SmartChlor Reserve"
- As with ozone, there is no test for silver ion levels (other than there is still material in the cartridge when you shake it)
- Non-refillable cartridges, so some plastic waste/recycle
- Silver cartridge can leave a small yellow stain below it in the filter compartment

End result... I'm glad to have tried it for this first season. We will probably continue to use the system due to its no-fuss factor. It's even easier than a saltwater chlorine generator system, as there is no need to hit a boost function or add a specific level of salt.

If you are leaving on vacation, as we did for two weeks, it's great so long as there is enough left in the SmartChlor cartridge to last. Our house sitters loved it, and the tub was still perfectly sanitized and everything in line when we returned home.

We got about six weeks each on the first two cartridges. In fact, the last cartridge ran out without my thinking about it. I was surprised to test the water and find 0 FC, 0 Reserve (which reads as "CC" on the TFT100 kit). Checked the cartridge and sure enough, it was empty. Ah - six weeks had gone by. The silver cartridge, I think, kept things in check during the brief lapse. I installed a new cartridge, added a kickstart dose of dichlor, and monitored. Everything was fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.