Spa, Chemistry Whacked

Oct 28, 2018
Fullerton, CA
I have an approximately 1,000 gallon spa. Built-in, plaster. Manual chlorination.

I had to ignore things for a bit awhile back, so I put in a floating chlorinator and added a chlorination tab to it. I've done this before like when on vacation but broke the tab and just put 1/4 or 1/5th size pieces in at a time. This time I put the whole tab in, (which of course is designed for a full size pool), but closed the openings in the floating chlorinator down to where they were almost shut. It appears that didn't work so well.

It seems I over chlorinated and over CYA'd (in the tabs) my spa.

I think. Anyway, something truly weird going on.

New test kit shows:

TC: Starts out with bright orange streaks of color in bright yellow solution, then with a shake the orange turns to orange "flakes".
Ph: ~7.8
TA: 60
CYA: 100++ (Tube starts at 100 at bottom. Black dot was obscured 3/8" to 1/2" below that)
CH: Tried to test this. We have really hard water, although I don't have to add but every other week (evaporation). Typically it's been really high, but the test started out "pink", then as I put drops in went clear, but never did go to blue. I put 100 drops in. Stayed clear.

I'm getting soft, white "flakes" like snow drifts in the bottom of the spa. They're soft, but maintain their shape as one nets them up. Definitely NOT diatomaceous earth.

I'm thinking I've really screwed the chemistry up so much I should just drain it and start over.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Hello and welcome to the forum! :wave: Based on what you are describing, it sounds as though a good water swap is in order to get your CH and CYA back under control. It's possible those flakes are residual from the acidic puck that may have dissolved some calcium off the surface. If you can gather some of it, pour some acid on it to see if it fizzles. In addition, if you haven't performed an Ahh-Some treatment lately, you might consider that as well. I put a couple links below that should help. Last, at some point please update your signature with all of your spa and equipment info, to include which test kit you are using. That's one of the first things we look for on any post. Thanks for posting, and let us know if you have any other questions. Have a great day.

How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?)
Ahh-some treatment

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.