SOS send help!

opadope

Jun 29, 2021
Cleveland
Hi everyone!

In need of some advice! We purchased this home last September, closed the pool successfully and opened it to clear water. I will add that I have never had a pool, and know nothing about them, am absolutely brand new to the pool world. I was excited but that excitement quickly grew to defeat. We have not enjoyed the pool yet because we can't seem to get it clear. There is debris that has formed on the bottom, and I can't seem to get rid of it for the life of me. I have learned alot of things I did wrong such as using test strips, listening to Leslie's, etc. I just today before work purchased a test kit from Ace. The Taylor test kit recommended is not available close to me and on Amazon will take days to deliver and I wanted to get going trying to reconcile this pool. I would love to be able to swim next week.

Anyway, the water is cloudy. The debris on the bottom looks to be yellowish, not green. I read alot about mustard algae and really freaked myself out about it. I vaccuumed up the debris but hours later I saw it collecting again once the filter was off. I did not do it to waste and realize now I should have. Not even sure I can with this cartridge filter. I shocked the pool twice, and afterwards my chlorine levels were high, pH was low. I added alkalinity up per the pool store recommendation. I also added some clarifier per the pool store. Water still remains hazy. This morning (6/29) I had water tested and these were my results

FC 8.64
TC 8.73
pH 7.5
Alkalinity 101
Calcium 168
Cya 89 😬😬😬
Iron 0
Copper 0.3
Phos 1408
TDS 800

These were from Leslie's. I work nights and it was raining when I left for work so I didn't test with my kit before I left. Will test when I get home. I mentioned this morning to the pool store that I have rinsed out my cartridge filter 4 times in the last three days and he said that could be my problem? That it only needs rinsing when pressure goes up. Its a brand new cartridge, and since Ive put it in, and opened the pool I haven't seen a rise in pressure. Could the filter be my problem? The pump? I know from the neighbors who were close to the precious owner that the filter was replaced maybe 5-10 years ago? I want to slam it but my husband thinks we should wait and let the pump run 24/7 to see if it helps. I get into the mindset where I want to fix it now, not wait a few days and watch it get worse. Send help experts! I am at a total loss!

I also can't figure out how to post a photo in this thread, which is annoying because I'd like to show everyone what my water looks like. So send help that way as well!

I have a 24ft above ground.
Hayward power flo lx
Cartridge Hayward asl series c1250
Cleveland Ohio
I don't know any other details 😓

Any and all help would be so appreciated because I know literally nothing!

Welcome to TFP :)

It will all be fine, we can get you going..

first off, depending on the kit you got it will not do what you need.. You need the FAS-DPD test to test the FC at the levels we do for SLAM Process

You should have one of these by the weekend if you order this morning..

This one is cheaper and better if you get the speedstir and it will save your life in the long run...

Your chlorine levels are not high, we will get them higher to kill of the algae.. Now work on getting liquid chlorine 10% or 12.5% to do a SLAM, I can not say how many gallons you will need but I start with 3 cases or 12 gallons and go from there.. You can get them at Lowes, Home Depot, Ace, some grocery stores and some pool stores.. I get mine at Atwoods for 2 to 3 dollars a gallon..

Pour 1 gallon of chlorine in your pool in front of a return every day until you get your FAS-DPD test kit...

Do not trust the pool store test and guess strips as they are normally so wrong... :)

Forgot about the photos :)

Click this link
1625049048668.png

Or a much easier way if you are using windows.. open snip and sketch, look at your photo on your computer.. click new on snip and cketch and copy the photo.. come back to this page and right click and paste.. really easy.. You can use it with anything...

I just did it with this post :)

1625049178575.png

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.