Solar Roller - explain it like I'm a 4 year old

joseywales

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 11, 2009
Exton, PA
It's been a long week and I'm pretty beat up...and it's only Wednesday. But I've been looking at the Solar Roller website. Man, that site is busy. Geez.

What I can't figure out is, I have an 18' AGP, so I need to cut my cover in half or not? The site says they roll up to 20x20, so I'm guessing not. I didn't see any round pools, as he's looking to cater to odd shaped pools, but help a brother out.

Are there better solutions for a round pool?

I do not have the solar roller but have experimented with DIY versions and am familiar with it. In my opinion, yes, it would be much more manageable to cut your cover in half.

So, the one 9' piece of roller pipe would be at the center of the half-pie shape, and there'd be a quarter pie on either side of it. Using the hand crank, you would turn the pipe, drawing/rolling both "quarters" of the half pie shape together at the same time. You'd set the rolled up half pie asde, remove the crank, and go insert it to the other half pie cover pipe, and roll that half up the same way.

You would have two, 9' long, lighter weight rolls. It would be easier than trying to hand roll and carry an 18 foot roll. And there'd be no obstructing roller affixed to your pool frame.

So yes, I think this is a great solution for above ground round pools ;)

You could also make your own out of ABS schedule 40 foam pipe, using a drill and automotive stays to attach the cover...but as someone whose done that...I'd buy the solar roller for the crank handle alone and the prefab clips ;) if you prefer DIY, search the forum or google to find the DIY solar roller thread.

Thanks. I have used a solar cover before and did cut it in half. Much more manageable, but we still didn't put it on every night. I'm hoping the roller will help with that. My plan then is to cut in half, roll up two pieces, and just hang them on the fence. I saw their fence hangers. Perhaps there's something more economical, or I can rig something myself.

I'm DIY'r for sure, but somethings just aren't worth my time, such as building a roller ;) I save money here and spend it there. Like poker, it probably evens out over a lifetime.

I've decided to leave my pump run 24/7, so that's about $215/month, plus the "new" cost of a gas heater. We are surrounded by neighboring trees, so now I don't have to vacuum near as often. However, I'd now like to manage costs a bit by using the cover at night. I'll order the roller and see how she goes. Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.