Anaheim/CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Saline Generating Systems Breeze 540
I purchased my solar heater in the Spring and it worked great to keep my pool in the high 80s. Now that it's Fall, is staying right around 80. We've had some hot days here in the 90s but it doesn't seem to have any effect of the solar heater. I can see the panels are reading 115 degrees on those hot days. Anyone else in socal experiencing the same thing? Just wondering if something is wrong with my heater. Thanks!

Same here (a bit farther north). I don't think it's your heater. I think there are two or three things going on.

Some of the heat we think we are getting from solar is actually coming from the sun directly on the pool. Longer shadows might be having an affect on that source of heat, even though the sun is still shining plenty on our panels.

Sun angle plays a big part in solar heat and electricity generation. The angle is lower now, the heat generation is less.

Nighttime temps play a huge part in the effectiveness of a pool heating system, it's not just about how hot it is during the day.

Solar heating is cumulative over a few days. You add all of the above together, even if each is only contributing to a difference of one or two degrees, it adds up and compounds over a few days. In your case and mine, that's the difference between upper and lower 80s.

My installer's promises about extending pool season a month on each end didn't really pan out. It's more like a couple weeks on each end where I live. I'm grateful for the extra month (total), I know I'm doing better than my neighbor's pool (with no solar), but it's not quite what I had hoped for.

Reactions: beegee226
Thanks for your very detailed reply. I do miss the days when overnight temp drops didn't matter. I was able to get 5+ degree increases within hours pretty much all of spring and summer. I guess I'll just keep my cover on during the week and hope I can get some heat accumulation for the weekend.

The cover should made a big difference. I'm just too lazy to want to use one, so I settle for what my panels can do. We had a heck of a good season this year. I say bring back spray cans and big cars and lots of cows and let global warming continue to give us comfy pools! 🤪

Reactions: beegee226
I don't have solar panel but I use a solar cover everyday in SoCal. Pool temperature was 80-81 degree yesterday afternoon. Today is about 79. From what you said, maybe solar panel isn't enough to prolong the swim season. You might need to put on a solar cover. When temperature drops below 77 deg, I wear a wet suit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.