Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Hello All,

I just finished slamming the pool and have a thread in a different sub forum.

I am also clean omg my SwG which is in a different sub forum too

Posting here to get more eyes so I can understand my solar pool heater plumbing.

With the refilling of the pool the water is still cold and I know it's going to take few weeks for it to start warming up.

I do have a question on my solar pool heater. I think I understand the flow but a bit unsure on the value positions. When I do turn on the heat my JVA turns and seems to start to leak. I almost feel like there is pressure or resistance and I feel I am missing that there is another valve that needs to be opened manually. I think I know which one it is (need confirmation) but not sure what position it need to be.

Here is a video showing the JVA and the pipe going and then I try to show two pipes going into the ground. One had this half valve which I think is the return from solar and the other seems longer. Both are in horizontal position. Does that mean they are open or closed? I tried to turn them but it seemed tight and I didn't want to do something that I didn't know about.

Any help or let me know if I should post this in a different sub forum to get more eyes on.

Both those valves are in the closed position. They would need to be turned 90° and in vertical position for them to be opened.
That's exactly what I thought too but again with non knowledge wanted to make sure. Is there a special tool to turn them. I tried with hand and they didn't seem to move. May be I need to try more force but was worried I would break something.

Do I turn left or right?

Can't see from the picture but just so you know the problem you may have with them turning is that those go bad after some years. Best would be to replace with jandy valves.
Ok will get a close up. Regarding changing? I assume I need to cut the PVC and add them? What kind of person do I need to look for? Pool installers?

Ok I tried to turn the valves with the filter off. The one on the right black which I think is the flow towards the heater turned but the red one which I realized has a broken handle didn't. After a lot of effort it moved quarter but not beyond. Due to its location closer to pool filter, I am not able to get enough leverage either. Any ideas?

I guess eventually I must replace them but for now would like to just get them open.

Also when it's time to close is there a particular process or procedure? I assume you don't want any water in the solar panels so I am thinking you shut the inlet first and then shut down pool pump and let the gravity do it's thing and close the the ball valve after 5-10 mins or may be even next day?

Also saw video on that the handle is replaceable. Do I just need to break the plastic in center to expose the screw? Again this is until I figure out a better valve and how to replace.

I assume Jandy nolube is the best way. Do I just measure the diameter of the pipe to know what size valve I need? Is there a way to know what size I have?

Ok I managed to turn the valves. After that I turned on the solar heat button and my JVA seems to be leaking. Not sure if my attempt to run it without the ball valves turned created a pressure. Anyways to fix it? I assume a O ring replacement?

Also is it normal for the pressure to go up by 15-20 psi on the filter cartridge? It is a 2 story house.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.