Solar plumbing - Do I need a second path to isolate the solar?

Jun 21, 2013
I am working on Plumbing my solar panels and have a question about necessity. THe majority of the diagrams I see have the 3 way valve as the only path for the water exiting the pump/filter. THe value therefore needs to be used to manage which direction the water goes.
For example:
9K_BQwDXTCyh1TRLV5xMM1XwzBUp85LgdqtG0Y5LReyZpjDEs4ZUvk4KVA4T-0UbfRxWCZRltgFluwr93pmycRBshbuz94ua-LwK

Now, I did se one diagram where there is a bypass section using 3 valves so that you can completely bypass the solar, or use it to limit the amount of water going to each. Example from Hot Sun Solar Pool Heating l How Does a Solar Pool Heater Function?:
fig1.webp

Is this bypass loop necessary? I am in Upstate NY, so the pool is only open 4-5 months out of the year, and closed otherwise. If it is not needed, that makes the plumbing much simpler.

You don't "need" the bypass because the solar valve can act as a bypass too if needed. It just isn't as convenient as a separate bypass.

Last edited:
I do not have one in my system but I have a VS pump so I control the flow with that. With a single speed pump, there might be some value having one but again, bypass can be accomplished with the solar valve too.

Finally finished plumbing this up and did go with the bypass. While not completely necessary, since our pump is only a 3/4 hp, I liked the piece of mind in case we upgraded. Next is to figure out how to add the Hayward Solar Controller into the mix.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.