Solar cover

DWalli

Jun 11, 2019
California
Love the concept of the solar blanket for my large 18 x 36 pool...and they do work! However we haven't had the best luck keeping one for more than 2-3 years before it starts disintegrating. Love to get some feedback for brands or types of blankets you have had good luck with. E.g. color, gauge, ?

Thanks!

I plan on 2 - 3 years. Heavier covers have an extended warranty. Good luck trying to get them to honor it. I used a reel and an opaque cover to shield the solar cover from the sun when it is off the pool. The sun cover seemed to help more than anything else.

Reactions: proavia
I just ordered a solar cover for my in ground pool. The pool is surrounded by trees and we only get about 3 hours of direct sun each day. My water temp has gotten as high as 72 degrees F. Just curious whether it's best to leave the cover on during the day when not in use as well as at night? I understand that there is a fine line between the temperature increase from the sun alone compared to when the cover is on. Also not sure how much the extra handling from taking the cover on and off might contribute to a shortened lifespan. We don't use the pool everyday - mostly on the weekends or if it's really hot during the week (which it hasn't been lately!:()

Feherguard sells white opaque sheets to wrap up your Solar Blanket, when removed and stored. I talked to Feherguard today and they admitted that few white sheets are actually sold for use. They used to be sold with Solar Blankets but not currently. UV light will absolutely shorten your Solar Blanket's life. I am a photographer and I can tell you that coatings with UVLS [Ultraviolet Light Stabilization] are used to extend the life of outdoor signage and Giclée Fine Art Prints prints.

Both UV and infrared light will damage almost anything left outdoors unprotected in the sun. And it is worse at the equator.
Think Sunburned skin. The white sheet is a sunscreen. When the cover is on the pool water keeps the cover from overheating. If you simply roll the cover up and leave in the sun the cover will bake and become brittle. If you want to extend it's life you must protect it.

I have a take up reel for my Solar Cover. I also installed a pull rope [my own design] to easily cover the pool. Each process is accomplished by a single person without too much effort in a very short time. Less than a minute in my case.

My pool is 18x40 and before I installed the pull rope it was a hassle to wrestle the cover into place by myself. If it is too difficult I would not be inclined to use the cover at all.

Reactions: jkowskidpm
I just ordered a solar cover for my in ground pool. The pool is surrounded by trees and we only get about 3 hours of direct sun each day. My water temp has gotten as high as 72 degrees F. Just curious whether it's best to leave the cover on during the day when not in use as well as at night? I understand that there is a fine line between the temperature increase from the sun alone compared to when the cover is on. Also not sure how much the extra handling from taking the cover on and off might contribute to a shortened lifespan. We don't use the pool everyday - mostly on the weekends or if it's really hot during the week (which it hasn't been lately!:()

The cover should stay on all the time, and if you have time, remove it or peel it back for those 3 hours (when you have full sun), so water can heat up. You may consider installing a heat pump (I know electricity rates in NY are high), but if your cover is cut to cover 99% of the pool, you will be surprised how much heat you retain in the water, and how quickly you can heat the pool up. The issue is getting the water up to temp. The covers are great at retaining heat, but not so great at adding heat.

I see this with my cover. My pool gets hot, and heater shuts off. Although I do not really gain any more heat during the day with the cover on, maybe 1* at most. Then again, I trimmed off 1' around the edges, which gives me 2' in the middle of the pool as I was getting algae spotting (no more after this). Last year, I used to bring my pool to about 83* as I was concerned about electricity. Now, I bring my pool up to about 85*. This week I have been experimenting with hotter (about 88*), as the overnight drops will bring me down to a more comfortable level. I will probably maintain my pool at 85* once all this is said and done. I am only wondering how long water takes to heat up at different levels.

In summary, without a heater I think you are stuck because of the limited sun. It could take a few weeks of 90* weather to get the pool up to temperature even with a solar cover. My pool had no heater for 3 years and we barely used the pool. Eventually I had no choice to install a heater and now the pool gets a lot of use, probably 10X as much as everyone used to complain about the water being too cold. Do not get me wrong, a 95* day, 80* water is perfectly fine. Good luck and keep us posted. BTW, covers only last 3-5 years at most.

Last edited:
If you use a take up reel there will be less wear and tear. If you use a cover sheet the cover will also will have less damage. I have seen solar covers last 6 years.

I left my cover on for 12 days straight, but I ran the pump 24/7 on various speeds. I also paid close attention to FC and CC. When I uncovered the pool it was reasonably clear. I brushed and raked up the debris. I fed the pool 2 litres of CL and also dosed the pool to raise the PH. After 5 hours the pool was sparkling.

It is recommended to remove the cover every 48 hours to let it breath.

I do use the heat pump, and I try to uncover the pool on hot sunny days.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sounds like my pool configuration.. we are surrounded by tall trees so our pool only gets only a few hrs of direct sunlight during the day and tops out at the mid 70's. Even when the neighbors pool with no trees is hitting the high 80's. I find I lose more heat at night (radiation to the sky) if I don't cover it. and I really don't get that much heating during the day.. so for me the solar cover is to keep the heat in once I have heated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.