Solar cover to diminish FC loss??

Any cover will reduce UV loss. Almost all the plastic covers on the market are made of materials (polymers) that absorb UV light. In a clear and clean pool, a cover will reduce FC losses by at least half if not more.

However, in a hot Texas climate, your pool water will heat up significantly. I once left a pool cover on my pool until mid June many years ago. The water temp went into the high 90’s and my FC was almost totally gone (thermal loss). It took days for my water temperature to recover. It was unpleasant to swim in.

Also, a cover will not last long, 2 years at best. I never really bothered with a cover because their a pain to put on and off and they don’t last. Got tired of dropping $150 every other year very quickly

I don't believe I was ever as happy for something to reach end of life as when my solar cover died.

It worked amazing to its abilities, but was a buzz kill everytime we ran down there wanting to hop in.

I don't believe I was ever as happy for something to reach end of life as when my solar cover died.

It worked amazing to its abilities, but was a buzz kill everytime we ran down there wanting to hop in.
We used to take it off every time we used the pool. Back then we needed to since we had kids and they would "swim" in the pool. Since our pool is round and no deck we never had a solar cover reel so it was completely off laying on chairs or on the ground. Today my kids are adults and when we do go in it's for floating around and drinking (mostly adult 😀) beverages so we just roll up the cover and let it sit in the pool. Having 4 or 5 adults in the pool just floating, 1/2 a pool is large enough for us.

Reactions: Newdude
Greetings. Wondering whether a UV-reflecting pool cover would decrease rate of UV-induced FC loss? Any experience appreciated. Regards,
As others have said, yes it does cut down on chlorine loss and yes it does contribute to the water retaining/heating up. We went into our pool with 92 degree water and it was not very refreshing at first but eventually we thought it became "cooler" vs the outside air.

FC usage reduction, heat retention, and less evaporation are all good with mine. I have more junk in the pool, I’m probably storing it closer to leaves or something. It takes me ~4 minutes to put it on or take off by myself with a 12k gallon pool. Overall very positive, mainly for heat/evaporation.

One thing to consider is safety though. A few days in our dog fell in by accident and luckily we were there to pull him out, scared the Crud out of all of us.

We made some minor changes to the time I put it back on to prevent it. Our pool is already a fortress (cameras/sensors/alarms) because we have small children so it’s a death trap in our minds either way.

Something to consider, it would not be worth it if we weren’t already on high alert with the pool in general.

Reactions: KJB1
One thing to consider is safety though. A few days in our dog fell in by accident and luckily we were there to pull him out, scared the Crud out of all of us.
+1. Mine thought it was the best shortcut ever, upon covering the pool the first time. If he was trapped upside down, it would have gone differently because the insanely heavy dog/water burrito took several minutes to drag to the stairs and unburrito.

The 'no animals or children allowed in the fenced pool area with the cover on' rule was born that 1st day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
+1. Mine thought it was the best shortcut ever, upon covering the pool the first time. If he was trapped upside down, it would have gone differently because the insanely heavy dog/water burrito took several minutes to drag to the stairs and unburrito.

The 'no animals or children allowed in the fenced pool area with the cover on' rule was born that 1st day.
A dog that likes the pool was the last straw, my cover is history. I found it cuts chlorine use by about 1/3. It actually made my pool more dirty. The skimmer doesn't skim with it on and junk just sinks to the bottom.

Reactions: Newdude
Any cover will reduce UV loss. Almost all the plastic covers on the market are made of materials (polymers) that absorb UV light. In a clear and clean pool, a cover will reduce FC losses by at least half if not more.

However, in a hot Texas climate, your pool water will heat up significantly. I once left a pool cover on my pool until mid June many years ago. The water temp went into the high 90’s and my FC was almost totally gone (thermal loss). It took days for my water temperature to recover. It was unpleasant to swim in.

Also, a cover will not last long, 2 years at best. I never really bothered with a cover because their a pain to put on and off and they don’t last. Got tired of dropping $150 every other year very quickly
Thank you. I needed to read this.

Reactions: KJB1
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.